Rare error pressing

Discuss anything related to Jimmy Buffett. Find more specific categories below
Ellwinn
Number of Buffett shows attended: 25

Rare error pressing

Post by Ellwinn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:24 am

Hello fellow parrot heads,
I have a pressing of "Havana Daydreamin'" which I am calling an error lp.
It has 2 versions of "Second Wind" and "Please Take Your Girlfriend Home".
The label lists "woman going crazy" and Defying Gravity", but those songs are
not on the lp. I wrote to The Coconut Telegraph years ago, and the response I got
was that this lp is "extremely rare". Is anyone familiar with this mistake lp? I'm
curious what the value might be. I switched from vinyl to cd's way back when. I haven't had
a turntable in years, but I hung onto this record. Maybe it's time for it to find its true home.
Thanks for any input. "Some of its magic, some of its tragic, but I've had a good life all the way." :finsup:

SonofaSonofaSailor
Number of Buffett shows attended: 1

Re: Rare error pressing

Post by SonofaSonofaSailor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Would be interested in giving a good new home. Currently collecting JB's discography on vinyl. Also about to move from Birmingham, AL down to Fairhope, AL where JB spent so much time. Let me know.
An actual Son of a Son of a Sailor from Fairhope, Alabama.

Ellwinn

Post by Ellwinn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:37 pm

I'd be willing to re-home this unique vinyl once I have an idea what
it's fair value is. It is a used lp, but not abused. Minor surface wear but
no obvious deep scratches. I only played it a couple times once I figured out what it was.
We have a few nice vinyl stores around here. Maybe I'll take it in and see what they say.
I welcome input from my fellow parrot heads on possible sights to figure this one out.
Thank you. :finsup:

urlcenter

Post by urlcenter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Ellwinn wrote:I'd be willing to re-home this unique vinyl once I have an idea what
no obvious deep scratches. I only played it a couple times once I figured out what it was.
We have a few nice vinyl stores around here. Maybe I'll take it in and see what they say.
I welcome input from my fellow parrot heads on possible sights to figure this one out.
It is not as rare as you might think and it is not an Error pressing either, here is the story behind that album.

When Jimmy first started working on it, the working title was Second Wind and the song "Kick it in Second Wind" was to be the title track. This was to be the planned track listing:

Side One
Kick it in Second Wind
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don't Love Jesus
The Captain and the Kid
Big Rig
Please Take You Drunken Girlfriend Home

Side Two
Woman Going Crazy on Caroline Street
Something So Feminine About a Mandolin
Train To Dixieland
Wonder Why You Ever Gome
This Hotel Room

There are in fact test pressings of the album in the form that have been found by ardent collectors over the years.

For reasons that are not known Jimmy decided to make changes to the album including the addition of the song "Havana Daydreamin" and dropping Please Take Your Drunken Girlfriend Home and Train to Dixieland from the album however before the final version was pressed at least one demo version was pressed and copies of which were inadvertently shipped to record stores with the final album. These demos are not as rare or valuable as the test pressing is however.

Ellwinn

Post by Ellwinn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 pm

This is exactly why I decided to post this here. Thank you sincerely for the info.
I inadvertently bought a used record a long time ago that was not what it appeared to be.
I only discovered the differences when I bought the cd. Still, I don't imagine they are making
any more of these. I no longer have a turntable in my system. It should not be sitting in my closet.
I'm sure at this point it will head where it belongs.
Thank you again.
Bob :finsup:

SonofaSonofaSailor
Number of Buffett shows attended: 1

Post by SonofaSonofaSailor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:05 am

Ellwinn wrote:I'd be willing to re-home this unique vinyl once I have an idea what
Shoot me an email:

I look forward to hearing from you,

Jon
Last edited by SonofaSonofaSailor on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An actual Son of a Son of a Sailor from Fairhope, Alabama.

urlcenter

Post by urlcenter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:53 am

Ellwinn wrote:This is exactly why I decided to post this here. Thank you sincerely for the info.
I inadvertently bought a used record a long time ago that was not what it appeared to be.
I only discovered the differences when I bought the cd. Still, I don't imagine they are making
any more of these. I no longer have a turntable in my system. It should not be sitting in my closet.
I'm sure at this point it will head where it belongs.
Thank you again.
Bob :finsup:
The demo version shows up on Ebay from time to time

Ellwinn

Post by Ellwinn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 am

It has found its true home. Thank you all for the info.

milehi
Number of Buffett shows attended: 18

Post by milehi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:34 am

Ellwinn wrote:It has found its true home. Thank you all for the info.
@Ellwinn

Any chance you would post some details, maybe photos of this pressing?
Actual track order versus listed on labels, if possible, the deadwax writing?
I've documented this on the buffettnews site and on Discogs to create entries for some of these test pressing and mis-pressings.

I have owned (and sold, for $200 last year) the mis-pressing version you can see here:
https://www.discogs.com/Jimmy-Buffett-H ... se/7031016

I currently own the "Kick It In Second Wind" test pressing seen here:
https://www.discogs.com/Jimmy-Buffett-H ... e/10490493

My mis-pressing did not have two versions of "Kick It In Second Wind" though, that is very rare if true? Did the OP mean an alternate version, rather than 2? The only visible way to ID it is via the deadwax etching, which is why I was inquiring if you might offer it?

From the book, Jimmy Buffett: A Good Life All the Way – May 9, 2017 by Ryan White has a section that covers these songs and how they came to be, talks of the test pressing, the making of the album, then mentions:
"Kick It in Second Wind was finished with a combination of Coral Reefers and studio pros (including Utley and Grisham), and then never released."

The chapter goes on to talk about

When the calendar flipped to 1976, the follow-up to A1A was finally released not as Kick It in Second Wind, but Havana Daydreamin’.

The cover illustration found Buffett squinting into the sun, smiling wide with blue skies blending into the blue of the ocean behind him. Things were good. “Train to Dixie,” “Wonder Why You Ever Go Home,” and “Please Take Your Girlfriend Home” had disappeared.
As, with his consent, had Shel Silverstein’s name from the writing credits for “Woman Goin’ Crazy on Caroline Street.”

It goes on to then talk about the songs that replaced them.
No where in the book is "We've Been Taken to the Cleaners (and I Already Had my Shirts Done)" ever mentioned as pops up occasionally in these threads. No evidence of that song has ever manifested as far as I know.

There are allegedly only a few hundred copies of "Down To Earth" in circulation, but for me at least, it is far easier to find than the mis-pressed Havana Daydreaming, or the test pressing has proven to be. I have found exactly one of each, have owned six copies of Down To Earth, including one sealed that I had Jimmy autograph.

Thanks!