Site and forum update

The place for news and announcements related to BuffettWorld.com
Air M'Ville Cap'n
Site Admin
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

Site and forum update

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:52 pm

As you can see, I've updated the look of the website. The last update was 2010! So it was definitely due.

In updating the forum, it appears that the avatars were lost. I apologize for this but you'll need to upload a new avatar.

Let me know if you encounter any issues. The updated forum has additional spam countermeasures, so hopefully the spam will be less.

UPDATE - I was able to restore avatars.

urlcenter

Re: Site and forum update

Post by urlcenter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 am

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:52 pm
As you can see, I've updated the look of the website. The last update was 2010! So it was definitely due.

In updating the forum, it appears that the avatars were lost. I apologize for this but you'll need to upload a new avatar.

Let me know if you encounter any issues. The updated forum has additional spam countermeasures, so hopefully the spam will be less.
The Buffett world Logo is way to big it is covering parts of the forums and posts

HurricaneSeason

Post by HurricaneSeason » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 pm

NICE!!!!!

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Site Admin

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 am

urlcenter wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 am
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:

The Buffett world Logo is way to big it is covering parts of the forums and posts
I've been working on this. It looks ok in my Chrome browser on my laptop but not on my iPad.

urlcenter

Post by urlcenter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 am
urlcenter wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:

I've been working on this. It looks ok in my Chrome browser on my laptop but not on my iPad.
The logo and menu bar are to big in my Chrome Browser running on Windows 7 I have to reduce my Chromes zoom down to 80% in order for it to work correctly.

Also the boards got hit with Spam again yesterday so it looks like a different anti-spam extension is needed. I believe there is one available that will let you block spammers by IP address

jollymon345

Post by jollymon345 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 pm

urlcenter wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:53 pm
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
urlcenter wrote:

The logo and menu bar are to big in my Chrome Browser running on Windows 7 I have to reduce my Chromes zoom down to 80% in order for it to work correctly.

Also the boards got hit with Spam again yesterday so it looks like a different anti-spam extension is needed. I believe there is one available that will let you block spammers by IP address
When I ban a user the email address, username and IP are all banned. Problem is that they just use a different IP address. Last time I looked we have more banned members for spamming then we do actually members. I am on here every morning before I go to work and at night after I eat dinner and I probably ban between 10-20 people a day. Some of the post spam before I get to them and others I catch before they start posting. The spammers from yesterday had all joined either Thursday or Friday of last week. I don't know if you can see the same members list as me down in the bottom right but about 15 pages(25 per page) worth of spammers have been banned since Dec. 1.

urlcenter

Post by urlcenter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:59 pm

jollymon345 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 pm
urlcenter wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:

When I ban a user the email address, username and IP are all banned. Problem is that they just use a different IP address. Last time I looked we have more banned members for spamming then we do actually members. I am on here every morning before I go to work and at night after I eat dinner and I probably ban between 10-20 people a day. Some of the post spam before I get to them and others I catch before they start posting. The spammers from yesterday had all joined either Thursday or Friday of last week. I don't know if you can see the same members list as me down in the bottom right but about 15 pages(25 per page) worth of spammers have been banned since Dec. 1.
The company that distributes the forum software, phpBB® Forum Software, offers a number of security and anti-spam extensions that can be used to combat and or prevent spam on these boards.

Here are the links to the available extensions:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ecurity-56

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ti-spam-41

Hopefully one or more of these extensions can help solve this problem

jollymon345

Post by jollymon345 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:51 pm

urlcenter wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:59 pm
jollymon345 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 pm
urlcenter wrote:

The company that distributes the forum software, phpBB® Forum Software, offers a number of security and anti-spam extensions that can be used to combat and or prevent spam on these boards.

Here are the links to the available extensions:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ecurity-56

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ti-spam-41

Hopefully one or more of these extensions can help solve this problem
That is up to Josh to add and I am not sure what all he has. I know for a while they had to answer random questions for the account to be activated and somehow they got around that. I think we also had a thing were either Me or Josh had to approve the account before they could post but I don't know what happened with that.

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Site Admin

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 am

So Dean, spammers have still been getting through the registration process? Looks like you banned a couple this morning.

I've switched to where I have to approve all new accounts. I don't like that method because it could mean a legitimate user could have to wait longer than just a couple minutes to activate their account, but we'll try it and see how it goes.

jollymon345

Post by jollymon345 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:14 pm

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 am
So Dean, spammers have still been getting through the registration process? Looks like you banned a couple this morning.

I've switched to where I have to approve all new accounts. I don't like that method because it could mean a legitimate user could have to wait longer than just a couple minutes to activate their account, but we'll try it and see how it goes.
I think about 5 or 10 have gotten thru but that is a lot better then 15 a day. I don't know if you can do it but some boards don't allow a new user to post until it is reviewed by a moderator or admin. They can still post but it won't be seen and the account active until me or you approve it. If it is good we approve it and the account is active. If they are a spammer we just delete it and ban them.