It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 9:07 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

No. Of Shows Attended: 1
Here's an album I never get tired of listening to, this one gets 5 stars.

Was the title track a cover ? I thought I heard someone else singing
it before. If not maybe I'm crazy :woohoo: :wink:

Oh I'm just dreamin'... my life Away

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 9:33 pm 
Nothin' but a Breeze

No. Of Shows Attended: 4
To each his own, I guess; I found this album rather weak. It has about 4 songs on it that I think aren't bad, but nothing really memorable. I have to go all the way back to 1996 to find Jimmy's last REALLY good album: Banana Wind. Although, Buffet Hotel is a step in the right direction; it's Jimmy's best album in the last 15 years.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 9:42 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

HavanaMatt wrote:
Here's an album I never get tired of listening to, this one gets 5 stars.

Was the title track a cover ? I thought I heard someone else singing
it before. If not maybe I'm crazy :woohoo: :wink:

Yes, it is. It's by Crowded House:

I also like that album. I've probably played it more than any other recent Buffett record from the past 5-6 years. Can't say I'm a big fan of "Party at the End of the World" though and I also prefer the original versions of "Elvis Presley Blues" and "Wheel Inside the Wheel" to his covers. On the upside, it's cool to see him exposing outstanding songwriters such as Gillian Welch and Mary Gauthier to a wider audience. There used to be a time when I prefer Buffett's covers to those of the original artists but that time has long since passed.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 11:25 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
I agree with Ken. Just a handful of songs that are decent/good

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 4:57 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 10
I actually like this album pretty good. The first few times I listened, I wasn't a fan, but the more I listened it kind of grew on me. My biggest knock is the album is mostly cover songs, but "Hula Girl at Heart" is a fantastic song that Jimmy wrote that I never get tired of. Even some of the covers, to me, are very tastefully done. While certainly not his best by ANY stretch of the imagination, it isn't bad either.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 8:51 am 
Living My Life Like A Song

No. Of Shows Attended: 18
I tried really hard to like this record. A part of me does. The artwork, however, is better than the record. It does have some good/decent tracks on it though.

As slick as it is, and therefor just another typical song that Buffett covers, I actually do like Bama Breeze. I'm still not sure why. I guess it's tuneful.

Weather With You is nice but that's it.

A lot of people don't like Everybody's On The Phone but I think it's great.

Whoop De Doo is beautiful.

Nothin' But A Breeze is nice and is I guess what one could consider a typical Buffett delivery.

Cinco De Mayo In Memphis is nice and sounds like a distant cousin to Everybody's Got A Cousin In Miami the way JB does it.

Hula Girl At Heart - finally a song JB had a hand in writing - sounds like it could've been on License To Chill. At least it has Fingers on it.

Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On is beautiful.

Dukes On Sunday is nice.

Wheel Inside A Wheel, Reggabilly Hill and Elvis Presley are B-sides for me. PATEOFW is the worst track on the record followed closely by Silver Wings and these two tracks might be the worst he's ever done, PATEOTW especially. His worst ever. There are others, of course, like Cultural Infidel and a few others over the years that make me wonder 'What happened to Jimmy Buffett?'.

Which I have expounded upon in other threads ha ha...

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 11:51 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 10
HurricaneSeason wrote:
I tried really hard to like this record. A part of me does. The artwork, however, is better than the record. It does have some good/decent tracks on it though.

As slick as it is, and therefor just another typical song that Buffett covers, I actually do like Bama Breeze. I'm still not sure why. I guess it's tuneful.

Weather With You is nice but that's it.

A lot of people don't like Everybody's On The Phone but I think it's great.

Whoop De Doo is beautiful.

Nothin' But A Breeze is nice and is I guess what one could consider a typical Buffett delivery.

Cinco De Mayo In Memphis is nice and sounds like a distant cousin to Everybody's Got A Cousin In Miami the way JB does it.

Hula Girl At Heart - finally a song JB had a hand in writing - sounds like it could've been on License To Chill. At least it has Fingers on it.

Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On is beautiful.

Dukes On Sunday is nice.

Wheel Inside A Wheel, Reggabilly Hill and Elvis Presley are B-sides for me. PATEOFW is the worst track on the record followed closely by Silver Wings and these two tracks might be the worst he's ever done, PATEOTW especially. His worst ever. There are others, of course, like Cultural Infidel and a few others over the years that make me wonder 'What happened to Jimmy Buffett?'.

Which I have expounded upon in other threads ha ha...

BIBOMO is one of Jimmy's best of the last 20 years, I believe. Such a beautiful song. I've always wondered why he's never played it live :?

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 7:18 am 

I bought TTWWY after I had temporarily moved to lower Alabama (of course, also known as LA) after Katrina and listened to it on the way back to Louisiana (the real LA, ha ha). When I got to Breathe In... and listened the damn thing made me tear up.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 10:35 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

What bewilders me is how so many Buffett fans are into Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, the cheesey ass "trop rock" stuff, etc. but very few seem to seek out the work of Mary Gauthier, Gillian Welch, Guy Clark, Jesse Winchester and other artists he has tipped his hat to over the years by recording their material. Perhaps it's a generational thing or has something to do with when someone first got into Buffett.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 10:35 am 

I have some Jesse Winchester, Steve Goodman, Willis Alan Ramsey and a couple of others I'm drawing a blank on at the moment - er, I even have some Sonny Landreth. I do know people that do have albums of Mary Gauthier, Gillian Welch and Guy Clark that DON'T have Kenny Cheesny or Toby Keith (I admittedly have whatever that album is with I Love This Bar because that's just a cool ass song but overall I can't stand the Goat Singer).

All is not lost ha ha.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2011, 1:11 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

HurricaneSeason wrote:
I have some Jesse Winchester, Steve Goodman, Willis Alan Ramsey and a couple of others I'm drawing a blank on at the moment - er, I even have some Sonny Landreth. I do know people that do have albums of Mary Gauthier, Gillian Welch and Guy Clark that DON'T have Kenny Cheesny or Toby Keith (I admittedly have whatever that album is with I Love This Bar because that's just a cool ass song but overall I can't stand the Goat Singer).

All is not lost ha ha.

Then, you'll probably enjoy this article by Peter Cooper. I posted it over at BN but as expected, it didn't really register with most of them. Goes to show the divide in the type of music I like and what tickles the fancy of most Buffett fans these days (at least as represented online). That's not meant as an insult, it's just an observation.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 11:49 am 

Jahfin, that article on "country music" is DEAD on!

How many times can they all grumble speak "sing" about their tale gate and all of that shit? It all sounds the same now. Every new song I hear - and it's only when my wife and I are riding around together and we need a laugh - new country songs they sound like the same ol' tired shit that's been 'the new country' since Garth Brooks was huge.

Gimme Waylon or Willie or Johnny or Hank (1 or 3) any day!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:08 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

There's a real nice discussion going on now at the No Depression site which pits alt.country vs. mainstream country with some very valid points being made on both sides.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 10:12 pm 

I listened to this album the other day and I was floored at how good it really is.

Although it probably helps that I deleted Party and Silver Wings...