It is currently July 30th, 2014, 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: June 4th, 2011, 3:58 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Buffett received a brief mention in this NPR piece about Jackpot, a new book by Jason Ryan about the smuggling scene of the 70s. You can listen online once it's archived on the All Things Considered section of NPR's site.

Drug Smugglers' Party Days A Prelude To War
by NPR STAFF

Courtesy of Les Riley
Jason Ryan's new book chronicles the lives of "gentlemen smugglers" Barry Foy and Les Riley, seen here with Wally Butler after a fishing expedition.

Forty years ago this month, President Richard Nixon officially introduced something he called the "War on Drugs." A decade later, Ronald Reagan launched it as a national crusade, with the memorable slogan "Just Say No."

Since then, though, the Obama administration has jettisoned the term "war on drugs," and this past week, the Global Commission on Drug Policy issued a report calling the crusade a failure.

But back in the 1970s, the U.S. fight against drugs — especially marijuana — wasn't a war at all. In fact, for the "gentlemen smugglers" bringing bales of pot and bricks of hash into Florida and South Carolina, it was a nonstop party. Mostly college-educated and averse to violence, they were in it for fun more than money — though the money didn't hurt.

"Beautiful sailboats, beautiful women, plenty of recreational drugs, it couldn't get much better from their perspective," journalist Jason Ryan tells weekends on All Things Considered guest host Rachel Martin. Ryan has written a new book about the glory days of the gentleman smugglers, Jackpot: High Times, High Seas, and the Sting That Launched the War on Drugs.

To read the rest of the article click here.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2011, 5:30 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 0
First I do believe drugs should be legalized....

I also though have not so fun memories of Mary Jane in Summer 1993....we were program crew LLYC probably the least fun is moving a steel bleachers around a camp and the one who smoked well stood and watched....There was a lot of physical labor but one guy always watched...

Later summer 99 a person who once worked hard letting us down when we got slammed by tourists Burger King Canyon Lake exit...

The ironic thing was the very fact it is illegal made the money so good and fueled the high times.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 1:49 pm 
On A Slow Boat To China

No. Of Shows Attended: 1
That could be a really cool read!
I'll have to add it to my list.

Thanks for the info Jah!