It is currently October 30th, 2014, 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1057 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: Last Movie Watched
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 9:07 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 9:22 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
Jahfin wrote:

How was that? I love Zach but thought it looked kind of lame

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 6:27 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

How was that? I love Zach but thought it looked kind of lame

I'm not sure what you would think of it. I wasn't sure I was going to like it at first either but by the time it was over I must say I really enjoyed it. Customer reviews at Amazon seem to be pretty divided. Folks either seem to love it or hate it.

Loved this. One of my favorite scenes is when Danny Kortchmar talks about a piece Lester Bangs wrote called James Taylor Marked for Death in which Bangs fantasizes about disemboweling Taylor with a broken Ripple bottle. Kortchmar says that James could "kick his ass" and that "Lester Bangs isn't remembered". Even though the second part (and maybe even the first) is wrong, I still found it to be funny as hell. Though Taylor has never read the piece, this is what he had to say about it:

"If you think [my music] is sentimental and self-absorbed, I agree with you. If you like that kind of thing, then listen to it. If you don't, you don't have to remove it from the face of the earth. It's not for everybody. But to me, there's still something compelling about doing it. Regardless of what the guy with the bottle of Ripple feels."

If you missed this when it first aired on PBS' American Masters series earlier this month you can still watch the entire episode online here.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 11:48 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 11:27 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 10:44 am 

You watch a lot of movies Jah

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 11:21 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
You watch a lot of movies Jah

When I relocated a few months ago I decided to forgo cable. Since I invested in an Apple Cinema Display monitor a year or so ago (mainly for video and photography) I've also started watching TV shows online this way as well as DVDs.

When I'm not watching TV via online sites I've taken to renting a lot of movies from Redbox. Hard to beat at $1 per rental. Only thing is, it's changed what movies I rent. Used to, I would go out in search of something specific to see. These days I just pick from what they have to offer. If there's a specific movie I really want to see, that usually means a trip to Blockbuster. They've started something to compete with Redbox called Blockbuster Express which offers a few more choices but not the amount you can find in their stores. I'm sure eventually I'll join Netflix or something similar so I can stream movies but right now their choices aren't that great.

In other revelations, I also listen to a lot of music. :wink:

Last night I watched this one:

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 11:34 am 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 6
A lot of the movie rental places around here have started going out of business. I assume netflix and redbox have ran them out of business.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 1:15 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

prthd_dalton wrote:
A lot of the movie rental places around here have started going out of business. I assume netflix and redbox have ran them out of business.

In the years to come I'm sure they will cease to exist altogether. Funny how Blockbuster dominated the rental industry at one point but they've had their ass handed to them a number of times; first by Netflix and then by Redbox. It's a wonder they're still in business and still charging $3 per rental. One of them in my area closed their doors a few weeks ago and was selling used DVDs for $10 a pop. I can buy them at Wally World or Big Lots new for that much or less most of the time. A good business model Blockbuster most definitely is not, they can't even seem to learn from their own mistakes.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 8:03 pm 

Whenever we rent movies we either do it off of our U-verse TV on demand or through my Playstation 3. You can rent HD movies through it. But they're like 4 bucks or so I think, whereas you can get Redbox for a buck

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 9:39 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 6
Jahfin wrote:
prthd_dalton wrote:

In the years to come I'm sure they will cease to exist altogether. Funny how Blockbuster dominated the rental industry at one point but they've had their ass handed to them a number of times; first by Netflix and then by Redbox. It's a wonder they're still in business and still charging $3 per rental. One of them in my area closed their doors a few weeks ago and was selling used DVDs for $10 a pop. I can buy them at Wally World or Big Lots new for that much or less most of the time. A good business model Blockbuster most definitely is not, they can't even seem to learn from their own mistakes.

I guess I need to go take a picture of one so I can show my kids after they go extinct. Same thing with payphones.

You have to remember their business model was conceived in a time before high speed internet access (possibly internet access altogether). You're right though they should have changed with the times and technology. I reckon it comes down to not having forward thinking leadership.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 10:41 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 10:19 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 6:40 pm 
King Asshole

No. Of Shows Attended: 999
Jahfin wrote:

I still think this is one of the most unappreciated movies of all time.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 8:41 pm 
Nothin' but a Breeze

No. Of Shows Attended: 4
Sirgumby77 wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

I still think this is one of the most unappreciated movies of all time.

I love this movie! I not only have the DVD, I carry it around on my iPod so I can watch it whenever I want. You gotta watch it a few times before you really pick up on all the little stuff that's going on and then you REALLY appreciate just how good this movie is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1057 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 71  Next