It is currently July 25th, 2014, 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 8:35 am 
El Presidente for Life

I've heard that Johny Depp is onboard to play Tonto and shooting is scheduled to begin after this newest Pirates movie is done shooting.

Anyone hear who's playing Kemosabe?

I met the Invisible Man and I can prove it.
I had my picture taken with him.........

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 10:42 am 
El Presidente for Life

Just found out it's gonna be George Clooney.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 1:45 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

No. Of Shows Attended: 0
The Johnny Depp/Tonto news has actually been around for awhile, I guess it's just more official. The Clooney/Lone Ranger news is interesting, but I can't find a site to confirm. Latest I saw was that he backed out.

Depp and Disney have become a formidable pair, since Lone Ranger, Alice in Wonderland, and of course all the "Pirate" Movies are all coming from the Mouse House!

PostPosted: January 26th, 2010, 9:28 pm 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
Never saw the original. I guess there was an original right? Cause I've heard of "Lone Ranger"

PostPosted: January 26th, 2010, 9:57 pm 
Nothin' but a Breeze

No. Of Shows Attended: 4
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Never saw the original. I guess there was an original right? Cause I've heard of "Lone Ranger"

It was a radio program in the 40's and a TV program way back in the black and white days. Used to watch reruns before school when I was a kid. There have been a couple of really bad movies made since then.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2010, 8:44 am 
El Presidente for Life

coolbreeze2444 wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:

It was a radio program in the 40's and a TV program way back in the black and white days. Used to watch reruns before school when I was a kid. There have been a couple of really bad movies made since then.

The only thing good about the last movie made was that Christopher Lloyd played the bad guy.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 1:49 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 50
Pair8head wrote:
coolbreeze2444 wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:

The only thing good about the last movie made was that Christopher Lloyd played the bad guy.

"The Legend of the Lone Ranger," absolutely one of the worst movies in the history of the industry, for a variety of reasons:

- they got an injunction that prevented Clayton Moore from appearing as the Lone Ranger, and that po'd fans right off the bat

- the script and acting was horrible

- the story was at odds with the accepted lore of the Lone Ranger

- the lead actor (Klinton Spilsbury) had never acted in the USA (or anywhere else as far as anyone can tell) before, and has never acted since. His lines were so bad that James Keach redid all of the lines but wasn't credited in the film. According to Wiki Spilsbury "ivides his time creating audio soundscapes for subliminal self-improvement CDs and spending romantic evenings with this longtime companion of over ten years, Frank." :tmi:

- the actors were prima donnas and were so obnoxious during interviews that they drove people away in scores.

It was a huge flop.

Join me at Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/PirateJohn

Full-time RV'er, motorcyclist, and wanderer.
Currently living in the tropical paradise of the Rio Grande Valley.

"Nuevo Progreso. This must be what Key West was like 40 years ago ... before the tourists ran all the locals away."

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 1:56 pm 
El Presidente for Life

PirateJohn wrote:
Pair8head wrote:
coolbreeze2444 wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:

"The Legend of the Lone Ranger," absolutely one of the worst movies in the history of the industry, for a variety of reasons:

- they got an injunction that prevented Clayton Moore from appearing as the Lone Ranger, and that po'd fans right off the bat

- the script and acting was horrible

- the story was at odds with the accepted lore of the Lone Ranger

- the lead actor (Klinton Spilsbury) had never acted in the USA (or anywhere else as far as anyone can tell) before, and has never acted since. His lines were so bad that James Keach redid all of the lines but wasn't credited in the film. According to Wiki Spilsbury "ivides his time creating audio soundscapes for subliminal self-improvement CDs and spending romantic evenings with this longtime companion of over ten years, Frank." :tmi:

- the actors were prima donnas and were so obnoxious during interviews that they drove people away in scores.

It was a huge flop.

See you know way way way too much about this movie.
Where as the only thing I admitted knowing was the Christopher Lloyd was in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 2:07 pm 
Last One Standing

Pair8head wrote:
Where as the only thing I admitted knowing was the Christopher Lloyd was in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just wayyyyyyyyyy too old, I guess. :rolling:

When the film was being produced it seemed like most of the country just hated that they got an injunction against Clayton Moore, who was earning a modest living traveling around the country and making appearances at shopping centers and such. For most folks from my generation, Moore *was* the Lone Ranger.

Join me at Facebook at

"Nuevo Progreso. This must be what Key West was like 40 years ago ... before the tourists ran all the locals away."

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 2:14 pm 
El Presidente for Life

PirateJohn wrote:
Pair8head wrote:

When the film was being produced it seemed like most of the country just hated that they got an injunction against Clayton Moore, who was earning a modest living traveling around the country and making appearances at shopping centers and such. For most folks from my generation, Moore *was* the Lone Ranger.

OH Yeah, I am right there with you. I hated that he had to resort to using sunglasses but he did and the people still came.

Another fine memory I have of him is this commercial.
I always thought this was the funniest commercial.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 2:29 pm 
Last One Standing

There is a quick Lone Ranger/Buffett/Florida Keys tie in for you trivia folks.

Jay Silverheels, a/k/a Tonto, played a small (but good!) part in the Bogart classic Key Largo as John Osceola, a pleasant young Indian living in Key Largo who the local sheriff is half-heartedly trying to find.

~~~

With superb casting and performances, a sharp and resonant screenplay, John Huston's taut direction and Karl Freund's deep-focus photography, KEY LARGO transcends the windy allegories of its theatrical origins to become a suspenseful and entertaining minor classic of 1940s Hollywood.
Based on the play by Maxwell Anderson, Bogart stars as Frank McCloud, a disillusioned WW II veteran who travels to a run-down hotel in Key Largo, Florida, to pay his respects to the family of a buddy who was killed in the war. The hotel is operated by the father of the deceased, James Temple (Barrymore), and the widowed Nora Temple (Bacall). McCloud arrives to find the hotel full of seedy, threatening characters. He can only visit briefly with Nora and Mr. Temple before they must begin preparing for a huge storm which is coming their way.

Soon a group of Seminole Indians arrives in small boats, seeking shelter. Among them are John and Tom Osceola (Silverheels and Redwing), brothers who recently escaped from prison. Sheriff Wade (Blue) and Deputy Sawyer (Rodney) had visited the hotel earlier searching for the fugitives. John tells Nora that he and his brother are ready to give themselves over to the authorities. Meanwhile the massive storm grows closer and closer. McCloud, Nora, and Mr. Temple head inside the hotel where it quickly becomes apparent that the tough-looking "guests" are all criminals. They have waylaid the deputy and are now holding him prisoner in one of the guest rooms. No one will be allowed to leave the premises until they finish their "business."

While all these introductions were being made, the gang's leader has been taking a bath. When the aging gangster finally makes his entrance he is immediately recognized by McCloud as Johnny Rocco, an infamous gangster who had run a huge mob empire until he was deported. He has arrived from Cuba by a ship anchored just off shore. The last major character arrives for the festivities: Gaye Dawn (Trevor), an alcoholic ex-entertainer who is now the girlfriend of the gangster. The storm can finally begin in earnest.

In a film of outstanding performances--Claire Trevor won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress--Edward G. Robinson deserves special praise. As the fallen crime czar longing for a return to an earlier lawless time, Robinson is spellbinding in a portrayal that echoes his own iconic status in movie history. Though Robinson had at one point grown weary of endlessly repeating the gangster persona he established in LITTLE CAESAR, even parodying the role in BROTHER ORCHID, he resurrected his gangster image here as his final major statement on the genre that brought him stardom.

Join me at Facebook at

Last edited by PirateJohn on January 28th, 2010, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 2:31 pm 
El Presidente for Life

Damn somehow that got past me the few times I've seen that movie.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 2:34 pm 
Last One Standing

Pair8head wrote:

Don't feel badly. I'm not sure that he was even credited as Jay Silverheels at the time (he worked under several names).

Funny video btw ... thanks!

Join me at Facebook at

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 2:43 pm 
El Presidente for Life

PirateJohn wrote:
Pair8head wrote:

Don't feel badly. I'm not sure that he was even credited as Jay Silverheels at the time (he worked under several names).

Funny video btw ... thanks!

Your welcome, us old Pharts need to keep on keeping on.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 7:18 pm 
Nothin' but a Breeze

No. Of Shows Attended: 4
Pair8head wrote:
PirateJohn wrote:
Pair8head wrote:

OH Yeah, I am right there with you. I hated that he had to resort to using sunglasses but he did and the people still came.

Another fine memory I have of him is this commercial.
I always thought this was the funniest commercial.

I never saw that commercial before. I love it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: