Gypsy in the Palace

No. Of Shows Attended: 1
How's da new album ? Good, bad, etc ?

Post subject: Re: Buffett Hotel
PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 9:29 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
I somehow missed this when you posted it before. Here's my thoughts:

I think it's on par with Take The Weather With You... so for me that makes it just OK. In my mind the last great Buffett album was Fruitcakes. That was an album that I like pretty much every song on the album. Barometer Soup is pretty good too but seems that it's been a downhill slide since then.

I love "Wings". And surprisingly I like "Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rose". I also like "Big Top", it's kind of a fun little song.

"Beautiful Swimmers" is probably my second favorite song after "Wings", and "Life Short Call Now" is also a nice song.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 11:09 am 
Nothin' but a Breeze

No. Of Shows Attended: 4
Banana Wind is probably my favorite album and I think Buffet Hotel is JB's best album since then. I don't think it's as good as Banana Wind or Fruitcakes (my second favorite album), but it's definitely his best album since the mid-90's.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 12:31 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

No. Of Shows Attended: 1
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
I think it's on par with Take The Weather With You

Kind of agree there, I gave BH a listen recently and
it is like a Take the Weather with You. But it is
decent though. I really like Nobody from Nowhere,
Wings, Big Top, and Summerzcool. Surfing in a Hurricane
is a fun one too. :PhinzUp:

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 10:19 am 
Living My Life Like A Song

No. Of Shows Attended: 18
Nobody From Nowhere ****
Beautiful Swimmers ****
Summerzcool ****
Rhumba Man ****
We Learned To Be Cool From You *****
Surfing In a Hurricane **
Life Short Call Now *****
A Lot To Drink About ***

Strange album in a way. It's got some brilliant songs on it - Learned To Be Cool is tremendous. As much as people don't like Summerzcool I find it to be a fun song that at least has some kick to it. Beautiful Swimmers is the kind of song Jimmy can toss off any ol' day - but he doesn't, we just get it here. Life Short Call Now is another beautiful cover tune that Jimmy did really nice. This just smokes. I dig Nobody From Nowhere and Rhumba Man.

The rest is really bad. The title track is just garbage. Surfing In A Hurricane, although a nice wink and a nod, is just too much with the gimmicky production. Remove that aspect and it's actually a decent song but that's it.

The songs below I have removed from my version of the album. Buffet Hotel is a big snore. Turn Up The Heat is another attempt by Jimmy at being hip with the disco rapping kind of island hip hop crap he's been doing. This belongs in the same category as Party At The End Of The World, Math Suks, Vampires Mummies And The Holy Ghost and Cultural Infidel - just bad bad bad songs that he should not have been allowed to release. No quality control. The Buffett of old would shoot this guy.

Wings is just awful. It's almost as bad as his horrendous cover of Silver Wings from TTWWY. Big Top sounds like he threw a dart at something and called it a song. And it's even worse since he references himself in the tune.

Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rose is just awful and is tied for his worst song ever with Party At The End Of The World. I find it very difficult to believe that Jimmy thinks this is a good tune to put on an album. What the hell happened to DRALS? Like I said, ha ha, the Buffett of old would shoot this Buffett!

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 10:40 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
Funny that "Wings" is probably my favorite song on the album, and you think it's awful. To each his own!

PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 3:13 pm 
Changing Channels

No. Of Shows Attended: 2
I'll try to review the album from the perspective of "Would I want to hear it live?"

Nobody from Nowhere - liked it, thought it was a good intro to the album and an even better intro to the tour last year.
Wings - One of my favorite sing-alongs on the album
Big Top - It's a fun song, "happy to sing a long"
Beautiful Swimmers - A fun ballad; could make a good middle of the show solo acoustic
Chill the Rose' - didn't much care for it
Summerzcool - Fun song, but it starts to get old after a little while
Rhumba Man - I don't like it; time to sit down or go get a drink
We Learned to be Cool - I'm sure there's a story there, I just don't identify with it
Surfing in a Hurricane - decent song, kind of middle of the road for me - I think the 60's era surfer thing is kind of fun.
Life Short Call Now - Umm...again, I just don't identify with it
Buffet Hotel - I actually like this song. Much like Autour du Rocher, I love the "story made into a song" aspect of this track. I would envision Jimmy telling a little of the story as he intro'd the song.
A Lot to Drink About - this song is kind of fun, but would have been better as a "Ramos, where's the GD Hidden Track" intro, rather than just being the last cut on the album. I hope it's never a 2nd encore at one of his shows, but it could make for a pretty okay Jimmy solo acoustic song. Might have to be re-written to current events if it were to make an appearance on tour.

2/5/13 - Pensacola, FL - sent Mom & Dad for Christmas
6/21/14 - Frisco, TX

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 2:15 pm 
Living My Life Like A Song

No. Of Shows Attended: 18
I played select songs off of Buffet Hotel recently for some people and they loved the songs. I'm always glad/happy/grateful that JB does release something, even if after a while not all of it is very good or whatever.

It certainly helps with making comps...