It is currently July 26th, 2014, 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Buffett Re-Masters
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 2:50 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Parrot Monkey wrote:
But the thing is, there isn't anybody passionate about such things as AJ Croce in Buffett's camp.

If it came with some of his frozen shrimp, a blender or any of the other crap he peddles under the "Margaritaville, Inc." banner I'm sure they would be...

PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 11:31 am 
Rookie

I would gladly re-purchase Buffett's entire catalog if they would remaster it. As was mentioned previously, I would like to see some of the rarites released. I would love a studio version of Southern Cross. Or how about an all acoutic album? This could be a live or studio album.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2008, 1:22 pm 
Where's The Party?

Could anyone imagine Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads on vinyl? How big and bulky that would be. Probably among the least likely titles to ever see the format.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2008, 2:09 pm 
El Presidente for Life

Parrot Monkey wrote:
Could anyone imagine Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads on vinyl? How big and bulky that would be. Probably among the least likely titles to ever see the format.

I've seen bigger collections on vinyl.

I met the Invisible Man and I can prove it.
I had my picture taken with him.........

PostPosted: August 19th, 2008, 4:15 pm 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
Parrot Monkey wrote:

Briefcase size :yay:

PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 5:18 pm 
Where's The Party?

It would have to be like 8 LPs, but it is true that larger collections have made it, so why not? Just a lot of record flipping and changed but I would be curious to see what it would look like.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2008, 9:31 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

The recent Traveling Wilbury's box set full of reissues and unreleased cuts got the vinyl treatment, as do all of Dylan's Bootleg Series releases. While Buffett vinyl reissues would be nice and probably sell moderately well (vinyl has experienced a bit of a revival in recent years), I'm still more interested in seeing his back catalog of compact discs upgraded and expanded. Once that's done, bring on the vinyl versions, I'd be all for it.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2008, 2:29 pm 
Where's The Party?

The thing is too, albums like Fruitcakes were recorded digitally, and mastered digitally too, according to the code put on compact discs until the early 1990s ("DDD"). So, would a 2 LP vinyl edition be completely worthwhile sound wise, or would it just be a neat novelty item? I would love to have such a thing just for the packaging.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2008, 10:27 am 
Changing Channels

Things that make me go Hmmm...
Jimmy owns a record company, right? If his stuff needed to be remastered, don't ya think that maybe HE could make it happen? I got a feeling that maybe, just maybe, HE doesn't feel the ends justify the means. Afterall, people still buy what is out there. I think there are way to many wannabe audiophiles out there. Not everyone is overly concerned about the "perfect" (which by the way doesn't exist) sound. I have all of the Jimmy's work on CD (and on vinyl when available). I think all of the CDs sound fine on my Bose systems. One word for all of the self-professed audiophiles...quitchybitchin.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2008, 10:31 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Jimmy Rayban wrote:
Things that make me go Hmmm...
Jimmy owns a record company, right? If his stuff needed to be remastered, don't ya think that maybe HE could make it happen? I got a feeling that maybe, just maybe, HE doesn't feel the ends justify the means. Afterall, people still buy what is out there. I think there are way to many wannabe audiophiles out there. Not everyone is overly concerned about the "perfect" (which by the way doesn't exist) sound. I have all of the Jimmy's work on CD (and on vinyl when available). I think all of the CDs sound fine on my Bose systems. One word for all of the self-professed audiophiles...quitchybitchin.

Buffett may own his own record company but that doesn't necessarily mean he has (or even owns) the original master tapes to make a earnest reissue campaign happen. Rhino Records has a done an outstanding job with the back catalogs of artists such as the Grateful Dead, I'm sure they would also do a bang up job with Buffett's material.

Can't say I'm a "self-professed audiophile" either but Buffett's back catalog is definitely deserving of the remaster treatment. It would also be a nice way (short of another box set) of releasing some rarities along with each album. That ain't "bitchin'", it's just a desire to see his music get the treatment it deserves. DVDs of Live By the Bay and Tales from Margaritavision would be nice as well. We're much more likely to see yet another marketing scheme from Margaritaville, Inc. instead. Buffett's music itself hasn't been a priority to him for far too long. That's why he rarely even takes the time to pen his own material anymore, that's how we end up with shit that's little more than jingles for his enterprise like We're Still Here. I'm still a fan, still buy the records on the day of release, etc. but the Buffett I was originally a fan of sailed into the sunset a long, long time ago.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 12:13 am 
Rookie

No. Of Shows Attended: 3
I don't know that the Buffett box is "overrated" but compared to box sets by other artists I feel like it definitely could have been more comprehensive. Yeah, there's some rare stuff on there but I was expecting some true rarities such 15 Year Old Girlfriend, hard to find soundtrack/compilation cuts, that sort of thing. Otherwise, it's not a bad place to start if you have no Buffett on CD. I still haven't purchased any of the pre-Off to See the Lizard albums on CD

PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 4:41 pm 
On A Slow Boat To China

No. Of Shows Attended: 0
I prefer the current band and arrangements on just about every song. I have a few of the old discs but I far prefer the live stuff to his studio work almost across the board.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 1:05 am 
Living My Life Like A Song

No. Of Shows Attended: 18
Anything that is recorded digitally and released on vinyl is exactly just that - a novelty item. It's not going to sound any better.

Not sure of when Jimmy started doing all digital recordings. I know he's worked on a laptop for overdubs but as far as studio who knows. If it's not on tape, it will not sound as good on vinyl.

JB doesn't seem to own his masters so Mailboat reissuing anything from White Sport Coat to Banana Wind is between nill and never to happen.

Unless JB gets control of his recordings.

And let's say, for shits and giggles, that Mailboat did get to reissue everything. You think it would actually come out? HELL NO! Mailboat takes forever - and then some.

MCA, on the other hand, could remaster his entire back catalogue (minus the first two albums, of course). The box set was most likely not properly remastered either - it was still a bit too early. When Virgin remastered the Rolling Stones 1971-1989 back catalogue they (as in Mick Jagger and Bob Ludwig) finally knew how to handle a proper remastering to equate to sounding like the original vinyl releases.

Since then that's been abandoned and everyone just makes everything as loud as possible.

But yeah, JB's albums could use a proper remastering. The levels are too low and things could be cleaned up a bit, although nothing can save the horrendous sound of Riddles and Mango - those albums should just be destroyed.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2010, 11:10 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
HurricaneSeason wrote:
although nothing can save the horrendous sound of Riddles and Mango - those albums should just be destroyed.

:rolling:

I like Riddles but it has a different flavor. There are definitely a couple songs I don't like on it though.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2010, 7:59 am 
Living My Life Like A Song

No. Of Shows Attended: 18
Oh, yeah, no, there ARE some good songs on both of those albums. Just as a whole, though, they are not good. For example, Everybody's On The Run is horrendous but Perfect Partner or Please Bypass This Heart are pretty good.

The production SUCKS!

Riddles has similar problems. Too much of the album sounds the same. But there are some stand outs - When The Wild Life Betrays Me and She's Going Out Of My Mind and for some reason Knees Of My Heart and Come To The Moon.

But when compared to Harbour or Floridays, ughhhhhh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next