Jokelben update 10-26-2017

Share and obtain recordings of Jimmy's concerts
urlcenter

Jokelben update 10-26-2017

Post by urlcenter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 pm

As most of the regular users of BuffettWorld are no doubt there have been issues involving the Jokelben server over the last 8 weeks. So am taking this opportunity to update everyone as to where everything stands and what has transpired in order to make every thing as transparent and understandable as possible for everyone.

Before I go into the details of the events, everyone should know that no content as has been lost from the jokelben sever and the server is intact and functional, although it is off line for the moment and I will explain the reason for that a little further down in this message. I am also going to quote a comment from an earlier message on this subject and that comment is as follows:

"Neither myself, Sunlover, or Coasterghost profit in any way financially from our efforts in making Buffett concert recordings available. For that matter, Jimmy Buffett himself offers both the audio and video broadcasts of his concert free to his fans and he himself does not profit from doing this."

Now for a chronological run down of the events regarding the jokelben sever:

On August 29, 2017 I was doing a little Ebay searching for some Jimmy LP's to add to my own personal Buffett music collection when I discovered that there were two concert DVD's for sale on eBay. One of the DVD's was the 2016 Chicago Show which is being sold for 29.99 and the other was a DVD/CD set of the 2017 Tampa Show which which was selling for close to $40. Both DVD's were home burned DVD-R's not not regular retail DVD's. The existence of these two items in Ebay raised concern with me as to the source of both the audio and video for both offerings.

At the time I found the listings on Ebay, the Jokelben server at pCloud was open to all simply by clicking the link to it that Sunlover made available. As such I was concerned enough about the Ebay listings to send Sunlover a PM through BN. Sunlover responded back to me that he was quite concerned that concert recordings on Jokelben were being sold on Ebay. Sunlover did his own investigating of the 2 items I found on Ebay at that point and I posted an important message to the users here on Buffettnews and over on BW regarding the fact that content posted to jokelben was posted for anyone to profit from. My message was posted on August 30, 2017 and can be read here:

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/viewto ... 29&t=97147

After I posted my message I discovered two more DVD's one of Jimmy's 1983 appearance on Austin City Limits and a DVD of Live by the Bay which is has only been officially released on VHS and Laser disc. However sometime ago Sunlover made a DVD version for download available on Jokelben.

The listing of the both the ACL show DVD and the Live by the Bay DVD elevated the concern that jokelben content was being sold on Ebay. These two eBay listings were found on September 1, 2017 and they only served to elevate the level of concern for myself and Sunlover. At this point we both began monitoring Ebay listings very very closely looking for others that might indicate the content from the Jokelben server was being used for profit.

For almost just over two weeks there were no new DVD's or Concert CD's listed and we thought the worst was over or at least the Jokelben server was safe and that is when things became much more serious.

On Sunday morning September 17 I was doing my daily check of Ebay when I came across a listing for link to "over 200 shows, sound board quality" the description of the link went on to include information indicating that the available shows were from 1974-2017 right up through the 2017 Mansfield show which to that point was the last live show Jimmy had played in 2017. The description also indicated that Christmas music was also available via the offered link. This listing sound to me to be a pretty accurate description of the full jokelben server so I immediately PM'd Sunlover who in turn immediately locked down the sever by making it password protected.

On Monday September 18 I received a PM from brand new member of BN asking about the server and how long it would be down the new user of BN had joined the sight only 1 hour before he PM'd me. I passed this info along to Sunlover and we were both suspicious of the timing of the message coming from a brand new BN user after the jokelben server was locked down. Sunlover kept the server locked down from September 17 to September 23 the day the Ebay item expired. Throughout that week the new BN user kept asking about the server being locked down and Sunlover and I kept quiet.

Sunlover unlocked the Jokelben server on Sunday September 24 with a new portal page for the site that would provide users with the password to the server. On Monday September 25, The aforementioned Ebay listing offering 200 show etc reappeared and Sunlover took the server off line temporarily and the Ebay listing was ended by the seller. The was a fairly clear indication that the link being offered on Ebay was to the Jokelben sever and possibly Sunlover's own FTP server as well which raised an additional alarm about all of this. Sunlover locked down Jokelben again and again the Ebay item was ended by the seller

Sunlover posted a message about the new portal page for the jokelben server which can be read here:

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/viewto ... 29&t=97244

During the same week week Sunlover and I were dealing with this second listing for the "link to 200 shows" Radio Margaritaville broadcast Jimmy's September 23 show from Paris France. Sunlover recorded this show and uploaded to the server and posted links to here on BN.

On September 28 we discovered that Ebay seller had started selling his link again which was odd as jokelben was still locked down. So Sunlover played a hunch and took his FTP server,known as cuebas, off line. The eBay seller immediately shut down his listing again and Sunlover was stunned that the seller was now offering links to both Jokelben at pCloud and the separate FTP server.

Things seemed to settle down for awhile after that as Sunlover kept Jokelben and the FTP server locked down. Until Jimmy's show in Vancouver on October 13th. Sunlover recorded this show and posted it to his FTP server only then reopened the FTP server to allow downloads. 3 hours after Sunlover uploaded the Vancouver show to the FTP server, there was a new item on Ebay offering a link to Jimmy Buffett shows. Sunlover responded to this new item by again taking the FTP server off line and this Ebay was ended Sunlover reactivated Jokelben keeping the password protection intact on October 17

As soon as Sunlover did this there was another listing on Ebay for a "link to 200 shows" this time with a slightly different description that stated the link had both the recent Paris and Vancouver shows now available. Sunlover had uploaded both shows to the Jokelben server by this point which was just more confirmation that the Ebay seller was selling access to the jokelben server. Again Sunlover locked down Jokelben and again the Ebay item was ended by the seller.

Since that point there have been 3 new users of BN all asking about the server and when it will be back online. So last night as a test Sunlover brought Jokelben back online by announcing it here in the BN concert trading forum including the current password for the server and shortly there after the Ebay seller had his "link to 200 shows" back up and running. As result Sunlover has again locked down the server and again the Ebay item was again shutdown. This makes a total of at least 5 times access to the Jokelben server or Sunlover's FTP server has been offered for sale on Ebay and Both of us find this situation to be infuriating to say the least.

Again I will reiterate that the contents of the jokelben server are fully intact with the exception of the last 3 west coast shows and the concert videos from that tour leg which are recorded but not yet uploaded to either the FTP server or Jokelben at pCloud. Sunlover is working on new portal page or possibly a registration system for the server.

I apologize for the length of this post but the situation has been ongoing and I wanted everyone to know all of the details and what has been behind the current ups and downs with the jokelben server. I would also like to take a brief opportunity to thank a few BN users who have reached out with support and offers of help during all this including Bucarader, SeattleParrotHead, TommyBahama, Finsup6835, Dr. Corona, Martyritaville, tailgatingph, cm22lmr, SharkysMV1, and a special thanks to the board moderators for putting up with all of the discussions about this issue on multiple threads.

Note: as mentioned above there were a couple of new users of BN that kept asking about access to the server during the times Sunlover had taken it off line or locked it down. During that time a similar thing was happening here on BuffettWorld at least three new members joined Buffettworld all asking about the access to the Jokelben server and or the FTP server. This served as clear indication that the sudden appearance of new members here on over on BN are directly connected to ongoing Ebay issue.

Also thanks for everyone's patience during this and of course Fins UP
Last edited by urlcenter on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyber-Surfer
Number of Buffett shows attended: 3

Re: Jokelben update 10-26-20177

Post by Cyber-Surfer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Well that sucks... Have you perhaps contacted Ebay, about someone selling un-authorized access to your server?

Just a thought....

Anyway..
Again I will reiterate that the contents of the jokelben server are fully intact with the exception of the last 3 west coast shows and the concert videos from that tour leg which are recorded but not yet uploaded to either the FTP server or Jokelben at pCloud. Sunlover is working on new portal page or possibly a registration system for the server.
It's good to know it's still intact, and hopefully you all can maybe find a way to tie in login access to it, to BW Forum / Site accounts.. perhaps with a custom URL per user... Though I guess you'd have to "win" the auction to find out what link it was from....

Anyway.. I wish you all luck in your efforts to protect it from illegal sales on Ebay, and will patiently await it's return...

CS

JBLCENAFAN
Number of Buffett shows attended: 0

Post by JBLCENAFAN » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:58 pm

I joined around this time , however I had been listening for a few weeks anyway , sorry about all this hassle ! I'm just happy to see all the bing and bong stuff ! Fins Up !!!

SunLover

Post by SunLover » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:39 am

The updated Jokelben portal site is currently ONLINE! I know, I know... Finally!

Jokelben 2.0 Portal

I apologize for the delays associated with the launch and thanks for your patience. Please understand that I was building up the site from scratch and wanted to do thorough testing of the new registration component as well as navigation, formatting, etc. I am not a professional web developer. I have done a few basic websites on the side for personal use or small businesses and take each site as an opportunity to learn new techniques. In this case, protecting content access was my objective.

That said, the new Jokelben portal now has a free registration that will enable you to gain access to the server logon info. We decided to setup a registration process in an effort to deter people from selling the server link. When the previous portal page that included a Recaptcha element was active, we observed Ebay auctions for "LIVE Jimmy Buffett: link to shows MP3's" or similar verbiage. When the server was locked down, the Ebay auctions were ended due to "item no longer available". The Ebay seller never confirmed that they were selling access to Jokelben, but the auction timing and description were too coincidental for it not to be a Jokelben link.

I hope the registration process is okay with you. It is our effort to protect this great collection of JB shows. If you have any questions or problems with the registration or other site issues, please post it here, PM me, or send an email from the Registration "Thanks" page. During this weekend, registration activity is expected to be heavy, so bear with it if there are any problems.

Again, THANKS for your patience during this down time. Also BIG THANKS to urlcenter for keeping BN / BW updated and with helping with the Ebay mess. I know the natives were restless during this time and his updates helped.

madbaddad
Number of Buffett shows attended: 5

Post by madbaddad » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:02 am

Thank you so much! It's like Christmas in November and I just got everything I wanted. You guys are the best!

Cyber-Surfer
Number of Buffett shows attended: 3

Post by Cyber-Surfer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:54 pm

SunLover wrote:The updated Jokelben portal site is currently ONLINE! I know, I know... Finally!

Jokelben 2.0 Portal
I hope the registration process is okay with you. It is our effort to protect this great collection of JB shows. If you have any questions or problems with the registration or other site issues, please post it here, PM me, or send an email from the Registration "Thanks" page. During this weekend, registration activity is expected to be heavy, so bear with it if there are any problems.

Again, THANKS for your patience during this down time. Also BIG THANKS to urlcenter for keeping BN / BW updated and with helping with the Ebay mess. I know the natives were restless during this time and his updates helped.
Hi SunLover,

First, thanks for all your hard work on it. It really is appreciated. :) I'm glad to see it up and running again :) Have a margarita, and take a breather :) You and urlcenter both deserve one. :)

CS

JBLCENAFAN
Number of Buffett shows attended: 0

Post by JBLCENAFAN » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm

how do we now watch shows ?

SunLover

Post by SunLover » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 am

JBLCENAFAN wrote:how do we now watch shows ?
Just go to the Jokelben portal site (link below), logon or register, then visit the Jokelben file server. Be sure to copy / paste the password before proceeding to the file server.

Navigate to the Videos folder, then download the shows you want to see.

Jokelben 2.0 Portal