It is currently October 30th, 2014, 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How many stars?
***** 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
**** 52%  52%  [ 12 ]
*** 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
** 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
* 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
none 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2005, 1:17 pm 
Splashing Naked In The Water

No. Of Shows Attended: 14
Geeky Randy wrote:
When thinking of this album, what comes to mind are two things: Cover Songs, and Collaborations. I don't mind cover songs; Jimmy tends to do a good job at it; but 11 cover songs on one album--c'mon Jimmy. As for collaborations; well, I don't like country, and I don't like collaborations either--the only good thing I see about it on LTC is that Jimmy's older music has influenced many country stars. 2 out of 5.

Randy's getting critical on this review...............

"........ And you'll never know if it was an accident or not."

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2005, 2:15 pm 
God's Own Drunk

No. Of Shows Attended: 26
Geeky Randy wrote:
When thinking of this album, what comes to mind are two things: Cover Songs, and Collaborations. I don't mind cover songs; Jimmy tends to do a good job at it; but 11 cover songs on one album--c'mon Jimmy. As for collaborations; well, I don't like country, and I don't like collaborations either--the only good thing I see about it on LTC is that Jimmy's older music has influenced many country stars. 2 out of 5.

WOW! that's the harshest reviewi have read so far.....do you like Jimmy's original solo songs on this album like Coast of Carolina and Coastal Confessions?

Lester Polyester wrote:
virgin prthd wrote:
NOT happening PIG! :whipit: :pray: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: Here comes the hear attack and 2 strokes! :wave:
Something wrong with your ears? :hmm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2005, 2:21 pm 

Lester Polyester wrote:
Geeky Randy wrote:

WOW! that's the harshest reviewi have read so far.....do you like Jimmy's original solo songs on this album like Coast of Carolina and Coastal Confessions?

Maybe Randy needs an ass whoopin'................ :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :crazy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2005, 2:58 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

I think the most recognizable tune on the record is Hank's "Hey Good Lookin'' followed by Leon's "Back To The Island", The Grateful Dead's "Scarlet Begonias" and Guy Clark's "Boats To Build" but it's great to see them being discovered by folks that may have missed out on them the first time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2005, 4:24 pm 

Jahfin wrote:
I think the most recognizable tune on the record is Hank's "Hey Good Lookin'' followed by Leon's "Back To The Island", The Grateful Dead's "Scarlet Begonias" and Guy Clark's "Boats To Build" but it's great to see them being discovered by folks that may have missed out on them the first time around.

I never realized all of the cover tunes.................. Some were obvious, but for the most part, I really never knew.................... :roll: :Toast: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2005, 2:44 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 5
Jahfin wrote:

Let's not also forget Will Kimbrough's Piece of Work; Colin Linden's Anything, Anytime, Anywhere; Stephan Bruton's Trip Around the Sun; Don Gibson's Sea of Heartbreak; John Hiatt's Window on the World; and Bruce Cockburn's Someone I Used to Love.

Sorry to be such a hardass, but I don't give Jimmy much credit for this album. He distorts this cover album by throwing 16 tracks on one lp, and has country-singers as guest. Sure, I like a few of the songs; I do appreciate all the work the Coral Reefer Band put into it; and I like the idea of Jimmy reaching out to a wider range of audiences--but this is just a piece of crap, money making, hardly original, album. I love Jimmy. I'll always; but Jimmy could do a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2005, 2:57 pm 

Geeky Randy wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

Let's not also forget Will Kimbrough's Piece of Work; Colin Linden's Anything, Anytime, Anywhere; Stephan Bruton's Trip Around the Sun; Don Gibson's Sea of Heartbreak; John Hiatt's Window on the World; and Bruce Cockburn's Someone I Used to Love.

Sorry to be such a hardass, but I don't give Jimmy much credit for this album. He distorts this cover album by throwing 16 tracks on one lp, and has country-singers as guest. Sure, I like a few of the songs; I do appreciate all the work the Coral Reefer Band put into it; and I like the idea of Jimmy reaching out to a wider range of audiences--but this is just a piece of crap, money making, hardly original, album. I love Jimmy. I'll always; but Jimmy could do a lot better.

Randy must be in a pissy mood today................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2005, 5:40 pm 
God's Own Drunk

No. Of Shows Attended: 26
IsleReef wrote:
Geeky Randy wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

Randy must be in a pissy mood today................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like Randy needs to get laid :lol: :lol: j/k Randy, I respect your opinion even if I don't agree. I enjoy this album whole lot.

Lester Polyester wrote:
virgin prthd wrote:
NOT happening PIG! :whipit: :pray: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: Here comes the hear attack and 2 strokes! :wave:
Something wrong with your ears? :hmm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2005, 6:19 am 

If I ever get to meet Randy, I'm gonna get drunk and :puke: on him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :peace:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2005, 10:39 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Jahfin wrote:

Geeky Randy wrote:

All wonderful songs by great artists but I was referring to the tunes I thought the majority of folks would be most familar with.

Geeky Randy wrote:

I was very skeptical leading up to this album's release myself but for whatever reason I ended up liking it. I wasn't too happy about the big name country stars either, but Buffett at least shows a continued knack for picking out cover material. In that respect I hope a lot of people will seek out albums by the artists he covered here.

I often wonder how this album would have turned out if not for the success of "5 O'Clock Somewhere". Long before he cut that song with Alan Jackson he had plans to make a country record tentatively titled Conchy Tonkin'. Following the success of "5 O'Clock" he probably figured it best to strike while the iron was hot, thus the high profile country stars. As much as I like License To Chill I would have much rather seen him work with Will, Hiatt, Nanci, Cockburn, Jerry Jeff, John Prine, Emmylou, Lyle Lovett, Willie Nelson, etc. instead. I do like that he employed Will, Sonny Landreth and Bill Payne as players on the record, they lend it a fresh sound I haven't heard out of Buffett in years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2005, 10:09 am 
Last One Standing

Jahfin wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

Geeky Randy wrote:

All wonderful songs by great artists but I was referring to the tunes I thought the majority of folks would be most familar with.

Geeky Randy wrote:

I was very skeptical leading up to this album's release myself but for whatever reason I ended up liking it. I wasn't too happy about the big name country stars either, but Buffett at least shows a continued knack for picking out cover material. In that respect I hope a lot of people will seek out albums by the artists he covered here.

I often wonder how this album would have turned out if not for the success of "5 O'Clock Somewhere". Long before he cut that song with Alan Jackson he had plans to make a country record tentatively titled Conchy Tonkin'. Following the success of "5 O'Clock" he probably figured it best to strike while the iron was hot, thus the high profile country stars. As much as I like License To Chill I would have much rather seen him work with Will, Hiatt, Nanci, Cockburn, Jerry Jeff, John Prine, Emmylou, Lyle Lovett, Willie Nelson, etc. instead. I do like that he employed Will, Sonny Landreth and Bill Payne as players on the record, they lend it a fresh sound I haven't heard out of Buffett in years.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'd much rather hear Lovett, Emmylous, Nelson, Cockburn, and of course John Hiatt; I've always like Alan Jackson, so I was happy to see him on the record.

Oh, and by the way, I love It's Five O'Clock Somewhere; it's just something about Jimmy doing all of these cover songs that really makes me disrespect this album--it's as if it's not his.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2005, 10:47 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

Geeky Randy wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
Jahfin wrote:

Geeky Randy wrote:

Geeky Randy wrote:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'd much rather hear Lovett, Emmylous, Nelson, Cockburn, and of course John Hiatt; I've always like Alan Jackson, so I was happy to see him on the record.

Oh, and by the way, I love It's Five O'Clock Somewhere; it's just something about Jimmy doing all of these cover songs that really makes me disrespect this album--it's as if it's not his.

With a few exceptions I don't think Buffett's writing has been up to par on his last few studio records. I'm not expecting him to return to his 70s peak but sometimes I just think he can do better. However, there is a glimmer of hope in songs like "Semi-True Stories" and "Coast of Carolina", both of which, not coincidentally were co-written with Mac. Seems sometimes Mac has a better grip on penning a "Buffett song" than Buffett does himself and that's fine with me, the magic can't last forever but I do wish it would return. In the meantime, I think we may be seeing Buffett become an interpreter of other people's material. As evidenced by his cover material in the past, this also may not be a bad thing. Better that than an album full of "Math Suks" and "Altered Boy". Perhaps one day his gift will return, right now I'm just happy he's still recording new music and giving some otherwise fairly unknown songwriters some time in the spotlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 8th, 2005, 11:19 pm 
Last One Standing

Hey, Jahfin, I like Altered Boy. :)

But I know what you mean. And yeah, the songs he wrote for this album were good; like you mentioned Coast of Carolina; but I also enjoy Coast Confessions, and Playing the Loser Again--as well as the title track. I'm glad that Jimmy is play License to Chill a lot in concert, even though it was never a hit. The only original song from LTC I don't really care for is Simply Complicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2005, 10:22 am 
Riding a Big Round Ball

Lester Polyester wrote:
tdparrothead wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
I was never thrown off by the "country" thing because country music has always been a big part of Buffett's sound. What I was put off by was the inclusion of the big name country stars. What turned that around for me is Buffett's knack for covering other people's material and there's obviously no shortage of that here (John Hiatt, Bruce Cockburn, Will Kimbrough, Guy Clark, Hunter/Garcia, Leon Russell, etc.). It's one of my favorite Buffett albums in recent years.

I really liked his last 2 albums, I don't mind the fact that he's doing covers either, he's able to make them his own.

right, because most of the covers are obscure enough that most people have never heard them. to me they have been new songs.
agreed. I had no idea most of his covers were so until I read it online. A lot of us are too young (I'm 25) to know who originally recorded them.

That said, I really like this album. The country hype threw me off as well...I like or love these songs except for Hey Good Looking, that song is just torture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2005, 11:28 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
ParrotheadGator wrote:
I like or love these songs except for Hey Good Looking, that song is just torture.

I'm with ya. It wasn't too bad the first couple of times I heard it but then it was just horrible

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next