why does Jimmy Buffett the same songs year after year?

Discuss anything related to Jimmy Buffett. Find more specific categories below
bus2150@aol.com
Number of Buffett shows attended: 28

why does Jimmy Buffett the same songs year after year?

Post by bus2150@aol.com » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:28 am

I have been to twenty eight concerts by Mr. Buffett and loved each and everyone either here at home in Florida or on the road in Las Vegas, Texas, Michigan. I always want to go to the next show like this last one I went to "Songs From St. Somewhere" I was hoping for some of the music I loved off of that CD like "Earls Dead", "Serpentine", "The Rocket Grandpa Drove", and "Useless and Important Information". I did not hear any of that, which I thought in Florida you would at lease do "Earl's Dead" because we all down here knows the Tamiami Trail. I also see the next concert coming is "This ones For You" as I look thru the set lists, again the same old songs. Not that I like everyone else, loves the old stuff, but please use more new music in concert, please and Thank You........... :yikes:

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Site Admin
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

Re: why does Jimmy Buffett the same songs year after year?

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:33 am

I hear ya. I'd love for a little more variety. A couple times the past few years he's said he'd feature an old album on one night, then a different one the next night, and so on. Then I think he did that one or two nights and then abandoned it. I'd love to see certain staples like "Brown Eyed Girl" replaced by something out of the back catalog.

I say that, but then when I'm at a show, "Brown Eyed Girl" is actually a fun one to sing a long to at a show. So I imagine that's why he does it.

:finsup:

Coolbreeze2444
Number of Buffett shows attended: 5

Post by Coolbreeze2444 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:50 am

I think he does it to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's what brings out the casual fans and fill arenas and amphitheaters. That said, I still think he could mix it up a bit. There are probably a dozen songs he has to play to bring out the casual fans. That means he's go another 15-18 songs in which he could really mix things up.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

HavanaMatt
Number of Buffett shows attended: 1

Post by HavanaMatt » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:14 am

brown eyed, knee deep, and southern cross seem to get a lot of setlist time. Their should be a change there,
so many other tunes he could plug in.
Daydreamin' with a license to chill down at the La De Dah

jollymon345

Post by jollymon345 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:28 pm

The obvious reason is if you took a pole at a concert of the people who are able to answer the question what songs are you favorites and I would bet you 80% of the people would name all the songs off Songs You Know by Heart and 5 O'clock and probably Knee Deep.

HurricaneSeason

Post by HurricaneSeason » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:18 pm

To this day I have no idea what Knee Deep is.

If he never played Brown Eyed Girl again it would be too soon.

Southern Cross is good... on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays. That was SIXTEEN YEARS AGO. Hell, into 17 years now.

He's been ignoring the majority of songs from the new LP he's touring since Fruitcakes came out. It makes zero sense. Maybe a majority of the crowd is a drunk idiot that only knows those SYKNBH and 5 O'Clock Somewhere but that's no reason to not make the rest of the set list a challenge. To do some actual good songs. To do some good songs that never or hardly get played.

Kashif
Number of Buffett shows attended: 3

Post by Kashif » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 pm

This is exceptionally pleasant and nice post......you shook posting it.....thanks a ton for leaving such incredible message here.....!!!
Enjoy the real success with MB5-705 exam and cisco ccna portale.unipa.it online training programs and latest Also prepare for next level with quality questions and www.northeastern.edu and join Stevenson University

ToonGuy
Number of Buffett shows attended: 3

Post by ToonGuy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:36 pm

It actually makes perfect sense. Go to your local bar or venue that hosts live local bands. Ask them why they play cover songs. The MAJORITY of people don't go out on a Saturday night to spend their hard earned money and have a good time only to wind up listening to a bunch of songs they don't know. A local band, no matter how good they are, will CLEAR a dance floor with an original. They play Brown Eyed Girl, it's packed. It's simple you play what the masses want to hear. JB might be slightly different in that he has a large and loyal following of people who know his songs, but it still applies that the most popular songs will remain the most popular, and given there's limited set time those are the songs he will play.

STL Parrot
Number of Buffett shows attended: 9

Post by STL Parrot » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:30 am

I think the set list that is being voted on for the Key West show explains why Jimmy keeps playing the same songs year after year. Even when he gives the fans a chance to pick the set list it has the same old standards on it. The Buffett fans who know and appreciate his whole catalog are in the minority at the concerts so JB plays to the majority.
STL Parrot

Sell Your Stuff
Keep The Dog
Live On An Island

HurricaneSeason

Post by HurricaneSeason » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:42 am

STL Parrot wrote:I think the set list that is being voted on for the Key West show explains why Jimmy keeps playing the same songs year after year. Even when he gives the fans a chance to pick the set list it has the same old standards on it. The Buffett fans who know and appreciate his whole catalog are in the minority at the concerts so JB plays to the majority.
And that is a goddamn shame. There are Parrotheads and JB fans.