It is currently August 1st, 2014, 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: May 21st, 2014, 6:51 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

No. Of Shows Attended: 0
R.E.M. Surprise-Release 131-Track Rarities Collection

http://www.spin.com/articles/rem-digital-release-warner-bros-complete-rarities/

Complete Warner Bros. Rarities 1988-2011

This is in addition to the 50 Song Complete Rarities - I.R.S. 1982-1987 AND the release of the 1991 and 2001 Unplugged Sessions.

Oh yeah, they also remastered all of their old albums on iTunes...

It's a good time to be an R.E.M. fan....

PostPosted: May 21st, 2014, 12:53 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Only thing is, most of this stuff is already out there and in the case of much of it, it's been re-released multiple times. In several recent interviews, Mike Mills has mentioned that he doesn't want future archive releases to be a "dumping out of the vaults", which is exactly what these two compilations are. Since neither of these collections were mentioned in those interviews, it's as though he was completely unaware of them. Given how record companies work, that wouldn't surprise me in the least. While I already own the majority of this material, the upside is that it gathers the majority of it into two collections. The downside is that these are only available digitally (at least at present) which significantly reduces my desire to own them. Going by what Mills has mentioned in those interviews, there is evidently stuff in the vault that no one has heard outside of the band. He goes onto to say, he wants those to be special releases. I hope so, too.

Since so many got shut out on Record Store Day, the Unplugged vinyl set is going to be re-released as separate collections (1991 and 2001) sometime in the near future according to REMHQ.