JB Album Ratings

Discuss anything related to Jimmy Buffett. Find more specific categories below
HurricaneSeason
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

Re: JB Album Ratings

Post by HurricaneSeason » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:29 am

If you listen to the songs, they're just different mixes. The guitars are panned different, the vocals higher and brighter in one than the other, the EQs are a bit different, etc but they're the same takes. I've never read anything about Jimmy doing multiple takes and having things spliced together (like The Beatles did). They're the same take. There's various editing done for context, album running time, singles and radio promotional singles, those radio edits can be heard on jokelben from what I recall.

To which I've wondered, is the LP version of Margaritaville an edit or did they not record "the lost verse"? I've always interpreted what Jimmy's said as they edited it out, meaning, they removed that part of the recording. So somewhere there's a full length studio version with the 4th verse.

urlcenter

Post by urlcenter » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:28 pm

HurricaneSeason wrote:If you listen to the songs, they're just different mixes. The guitars are panned different, the vocals higher and brighter in one than the other, the EQs are a bit different, etc but they're the same takes. I've never read anything about Jimmy doing multiple takes and having things spliced together (like The Beatles did). They're the same take. There's various editing done for context, album running time, singles and radio promotional singles, those radio edits can be heard on jokelben from what I recall.

To which I've wondered, is the LP version of Margaritaville an edit or did they not record "the lost verse"? I've always interpreted what Jimmy's said as they edited it out, meaning, they removed that part of the recording. So somewhere there's a full length studio version with the 4th verse.
I don't know know about the album version of Margaritaville but I do know there is a radio edit version that differs from the album version as follows:

The interlude between the second chorus and third verse is completely omitted or removed. The section during the third chorus and final refrain "…woman to blame but I know, it's my own damn fault. Yes and, some people claim that there's a…" This makes the song structure riff-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-riff, as opposed to riff-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-interlude-verse-chorus-refrain-riff. The track itself was sped up a half-step. The original recording of the key of D would be E-flat. The length of the radio edit version of Margaritaville is 3:20 or 49 seconds shorter verses 4:09 for the album version.

This radio edit version of Margaritaville was released on 45 rpm records in the U.S., Italy, Germany and Spain with the song "Miss You So Badly" as the B-side of the 45.

As for the Barnaby Albums there are in fact several alternate versions of songs from Jimmy's first two Barnaby albums because they have in some cases different tempo's and running times: The song Captain America from Down To Earth was released on the original vinyl LP with a running time of 3:29, the alternate version of this song runs 2:39 with a different musical arrangement, intro and tempo. Likewise the song Death Valley Lives as an alternate take that shorter with a faster tempo

Also there are several songs from the album White Sport Coat and Pink Crustacean that have alternate versions. There is a shorter version of The Great Filling Station Holdup that as different lyrics from the album version; The Peanut Butter Conspiracy as alternate version with a different arrangement, tempo and a spoken outro at the end; Tin Cup Chalice has an alternate version that is shorter with a different arrangement and less backing then the album version. as well as slightly different lyrics then the album version; Finally there is a shorter version of My Lovely Lady that has different arrangement then the album version.

Regarding the edits and alternates being on jokelben, I am the one who uploaded them in the first place

I have my own Jimmy Buffett music site with a page the lists all of the known alternate, demo and unreleased recordings with information about each song you can see it here:

http://tjsweblab.hostingsiteforfree.com ... ernate.htm

HurricaneSeason
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

Post by HurricaneSeason » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 am

Wow!

That's hilarious. You ain't kiddin', he did do different takes. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me considering what happened with the dropped KICK IT IN SECOND WIND LP and RANCHO DELUXE.

I've listened to some of those that you mentioned on jokelben but they just sounded like edit versions of the LP versions, some of those radio edits. Now I have to go listen to the ones you mentioned.

I didn't know Margaritaville was sped up and edited even more so than the LP version. That's hilarious.

It's been a long time since I've played any vinyl of JB's. Looking at your page, this caught my attention about CILCIA: 35 second acoustic refrain of the chorus from the song. This refrain is only found on the original vinyl releases of the Changes album.

I've always wanted to find a crowd-noiseless version of Bama Breeze.

That's some great information! Thanks!

urlcenter

Post by urlcenter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:29 pm

HurricaneSeason wrote:Wow!

That's hilarious. You ain't kiddin', he did do different takes. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me considering what happened with the dropped KICK IT IN SECOND WIND LP and RANCHO DELUXE.

I've listened to some of those that you mentioned on jokelben but they just sounded like edit versions of the LP versions, some of those radio edits. Now I have to go listen to the ones you mentioned.

I didn't know Margaritaville was sped up and edited even more so than the LP version. That's hilarious.

It's been a long time since I've played any vinyl of JB's. Looking at your page, this caught my attention about CILCIA: 35 second acoustic refrain of the chorus from the song. This refrain is only found on the original vinyl releases of the Changes album.

I've always wanted to find a crowd-noiseless version of Bama Breeze.

That's some great information! Thanks!
Thanks a please check out the rest of my Buffett page