March-April Releases

Discuss anything related to Jimmy Buffett. Find more specific categories below
HurricaneSeason
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

March-April Releases

Post by HurricaneSeason » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:21 am

SON OF A SON OF A SAILOR (ABC/Dunhill Records) came out on March 17th, 1978. It's the LP responsible for delivering Cheeseburger In Paradise and, of course, the excellent title track, Cowboy In The Jungle and Mañana (in fact, they're all stellar tunes). SOASOAS is the last of Buffett's classic albums. The production of SOASOAS shows hints of the future but still has some elements of the past. It's a very clean sounding LP. The Key West era was over.

FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (Mailboat Records) came out on March 19, 2002 after being delayed due to 9/11. Along with the excellent title track it also has some new classic Buffett tunes with Tonight I Just Need My Guitar and Someday I Will.

DON'T STOP THE CARNIVAL (Margaritaville/Island Records) came out on April 28, 1998. Although it's essentially a soundtrack to the musical based on the book, it does feature some actual songs, including the classic Buffett island ballad Island Fever, as well as The Legend Of Norman Paperman, Public Relations, A Thousand Steps To No Where and Time To Go Home.

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Site Admin

Re: March-April Releases

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:45 pm

Island Fever is a great tune that I would say is underrated

HurricaneSeason

Post by HurricaneSeason » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:23 am

That's bizarre, isn't it! It's an instant classic, clearly JB lifting from himself like he did so much of in the 1970s by... lifting something from the 1970s. When I first heard it I laughed - it's Changes In Latitudes in a different key!!! Well, the intro is.

Why he hasn't ever played it live is mind boggling yet alone it should've been on MEET ME IN MARGARITAVILLE instead of, oh, Brown Eyed Girl or the bad new recordings of SOASOAS, Knees Of My Heart and In The Shelter (Saxophones is the only one that worked!).

jollymon345

Post by jollymon345 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:59 pm

I think I may be in the minority but I have always liked Don't Stop The Carnival and I thinks it might be the last really good original album he put out.

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Site Admin

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:12 pm

jollymon345 wrote:I think I may be in the minority but I have always liked Don't Stop The Carnival and I thinks it might be the last really good original album he put out.
For me, I go back to Fruitcakes as the last really good original album