Does anyone else wish Jimmy played a different setlist every concert?

Discuss anything related to Jimmy Buffett. Find more specific categories below
slimerbacca
Number of Buffett shows attended: 13

Does anyone else wish Jimmy played a different setlist every concert?

Post by slimerbacca » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:48 pm

I am a fan of, and have friends who are huge into Phish, and they know Buffett is my favorite and when we discuss the tour or even a 3 span show, I always wish Buffett did the same when it comes to playing different setlists, keeping fans itching for the next song, fans travelling around for different shows and seeing multiple shows in order to chase the perfect show.

Obviously the fan bases are different, as are the casual concert goers to the shows than Phish, but I always think it would be cool to be able to write about seeing a certain song that hasnt been played in so long, or that in Orlando they played this but not in Jacksonville. Just think if he only played Volcano like 3-4 shows a tour! Those fans would go insane!

Not that the fans dont do that now for many songs if not all of them.

Just my thoughts and ramblings. Almost 5 oclock!!!

SharkysMV1
Number of Buffett shows attended: 9

Re: Does anyone else wish Jimmy played a different setlist every concert?

Post by SharkysMV1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:44 am

slimerbacca wrote:I am a fan of, and have friends who are huge into Phish, and they know Buffett is my favorite and when we discuss the tour or even a 3 span show, I always wish Buffett did the same when it comes to playing different setlists, keeping fans itching for the next song, fans travelling around for different shows and seeing multiple shows in order to chase the perfect show.

Obviously the fan bases are different, as are the casual concert goers to the shows than Phish, but I always think it would be cool to be able to write about seeing a certain song that hasnt been played in so long, or that in Orlando they played this but not in Jacksonville. Just think if he only played Volcano like 3-4 shows a tour! Those fans would go insane!

Not that the fans dont do that now for many songs if not all of them.

Just my thoughts and ramblings. Almost 5 oclock!!!
Ha when I saw the thread title I immediately thought Phish before even reading this. I am a huge Phish fan and usually see 2-4 shows a year. I'm a Fall/Winter Phish listener and a Spring/Summer Buffett listener. This is an interesting dichotomy, to say the least. But, I'll give explaining this one a shot. In my case, I love going to both JB and Phish concerts for different reasons, but there are also some similarities.

-while JB's setlists are predictable, I usually do enjoy new arrangements (mostly acoustic) of old songs. I am also a huge sucker for JB's early singer-songwriter days, and the solo acoustic encores are my favorite parts of shows. I also REALLY love the tours he does where 2-3 songs embedded in the setlists are throwback songs, and you never know which ones you'll get. the 2008 tour comes to mind. I also love the local flavor/references JB throws into the shows. What he lacks in setlist improvisation, he makes up for with speaking to the crowd as well. Phish doesn't do this.

-Phish's different setlist-every-night theme is one of the major reasons I see them. You never know what you're going to get, or which songs they will extend out with improvisation. Sure, there have been songs I had been chasing for years, but after seeing 30 shows, I've eventually been able to catch my favorites.

-closing thoughts: I could see Parrotheads that don't live close to a major amphitheater or venue (or not being able to go to a JB show every year) not minding the standard, some say predictable, setlists. For Parrotheads that are able to see shows every year, I could see them growing tired of the same setlists over and over. This, and the rising ticket prices every year, have caused my wife and I to take a break on JB shows for a bit. (I can usually go to 2 or 3 Phish shows for the price of one Buffett ticket).
"A little Cape Cod sand oozing out of my shoes..."

slimerbacca

Post by slimerbacca » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:30 am

Yeah, I do like how he brings back songs each tour and does acoustic versions of others.
I just still wish maybe there would be more variety per concert.

I also know Jimmy and his bandmates arent young guys and it is easier to keep a routine than think of something new every concert. Also with so many people in the band it is tough for some to always know the songs

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Site Admin
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:05 pm

I go to one show a year (and even less than that the last couple years) and so I really don't mind hearing the standards. And the set list usually does differ enough year to year for me. I would go ape shit at a show though if JB played She's Going Out of My Mind or Love in the Library or some other really obscure tunes.

slimerbacca

Post by slimerbacca » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Obscure hits and even random covers would be awesome additions

HurricaneSeason
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

Post by HurricaneSeason » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 am

He's stuck to a routine for a tour with setlists for his entire career.

Aside from that part, YES! I would love it, regardless of me witnessing it, if he'd do a different set list every show! Less hits, more "deep" tracks ie album tracks. Migration, Miss You So Badly, The Weather Is Here..., Somewhere Over China, Barometer Soup, That's My Story..., Nautical Wheelers, The Wino And I Know, Far Side Of The World, Kick It In Second Wind, Bend A Little... so many he could do.

And imagine if he did a set list that replaced the hits with songs from 1994 to 2013 in terms of singles ie Fruitcakes, Bank Of Bad Habits, Jamaica Mistaica, Island Fever, I Will Play For Gumbo, Summerzcool, Something 'Bout A Boat...

HavanaMatt
Number of Buffett shows attended: 1

Post by HavanaMatt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:23 pm

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:I would go ape shit at a show though if JB played She's Going Out of My Mind or Love in the Library or some other really obscure tunes.
I hear that :finsup: :finsup:
Daydreamin' with a license to chill down at the La De Dah