New JB LP In 2016?

Discuss anything related to Jimmy Buffett. Find more specific categories below
HurricaneSeason
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

New JB LP In 2016?

Post by HurricaneSeason » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:33 am

Jimmy's last studio release was 2013. Time for one more album? I'd like it. Although he doesn't play very many tunes from his new albums these days (and sometimes I wonder about his song selection when he does) I think the record buying fans still like to get them. I know some people that aren't pleased with his recent output. They are stuck in the past. But they also have a point - he sounds like he's imitating himself.

Well, whatever. I'd rather have a new album of JB imitating himself than, oh wait, well, he's done some stuff that isn't imitating himself and it's turned out real bad. Really really bad. Like Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rosé bad. Or Party At The End Of The World bad. Or a few others bad.

Eh, that's what the skip button is for and the delete option on the computer, right?

Right.

But I'd still like a new JB LP.

Because Jimmy records albums for the sake of recording songs. Aside from the lack of new classics on his albums (there are just a few, really), I do listen to them. I even like the albums, although 2009's BUFFET HOTEL is his weakest release in quite some time. It has some fantastic songs on it (We Learned To Be Cool, Beautiful Swimmers), some decent fun JB by numbers (Summerzcool, Nobody From Nowhere, Rhumba Man) and some that should have never been written yet alone recorded (Big Top, Wings, Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rosé, Buffet Hotel and one that's just... all by itself, A Lot To Drink About). It doesn't hold together as well as FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD or TAKE THE WEATHER WITH YOU. It's kind of off.

But whatever. In the 1980s we got the equivalent with LAST MANGO and RIDDLES so not everything can be perfect or great or good.

He's talked about not knowing what to do. Digital releases. I just can't see giving up on the LP as a format: there's the artwork, the lyrics, the album (in whatever format).

Certainly he'll do another early and late summer tour that features Brown Eyed Girl and Southern Cross and go to France and Australia... has he gotten predictable? HA HA! Hasn't he always been?

That doesn't matter.

I really liked SONGS FROM ST SOMEWHERE (with some exceptions). I hope he does another one. Why not?

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Site Admin

Re: New JB LP In 2016?

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:02 pm

I hope he keeps making music too, even though yeah I've been disappointed by the recent albums.

Coolbreeze2444
Number of Buffett shows attended: 5

Post by Coolbreeze2444 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Overall, the new albums have been disappointing, but he always manages to get a few gems that I can listen to over and over again. So, yeah, I'm hoping for more new music and new albums from Jimmy, as well.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

HavanaMatt
Number of Buffett shows attended: 1

Post by HavanaMatt » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:54 pm

keep those new tunes coming :finsup: :finsup: :finsup:
Daydreamin' with a license to chill down at the La De Dah

jollymon345

Post by jollymon345 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:30 pm

As much as I would love some new tunes I may be in the minority but if they are crap like the last couple albums I would much rather him not waste the time.

deuceandddoll

Post by deuceandddoll » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Was at the Meeting Of The Minds in Key West last week and overheard a conversation about a new album to be debuted in February of 2016. We shall see.

HurricaneSeason

Post by HurricaneSeason » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:27 am

If he did more tunes along the lines of Summerzcool, We Learned To Be Cool From You, Rue De La Guitare, Colour Of The Sun, Everybody's On The Phone, some of the decent covers - Bama Breeze, Something 'Bout A Boat, Life Short Call Now, Nothin' But A Breeze instead of Wings, I'm No Russian, Useless But Important Information, Big Top, Party The End...

You get the point.

Then we'd get a really really decent solid good late career JB album.

limejohnny

Post by limejohnny » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:19 pm

HurricaneSeason: You've written up a fine summary of the state of things for the last two or three decades. I pretty much agree with every word. It's not unusual though when you consider Jimmy is pushing 70. I can't think of too many musicians who were able to keep their output at the same level throughout life (Dylan, McCartney, David Lee Roth, heh). There are exceptions of course, including plenty of the old blues guys. And Willie Nelson springs to mind, I've really been digging Willie lately.

That said, I'd be happy for a new album from Jimmy in 2016. I'd love to hear a more stripped down Rick Rubin-esque type approach to the production. But I'd take whatever I can get.
There are beaches and bonfires inside us. www.bringlimes.com

HurricaneSeason

Post by HurricaneSeason » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:12 pm

I sort of get an feeling that he'll do something specific for what would be his last LP. He'd probably say something about "this is it" kind of thing - or the song choices (as in covers I would imagine it mostly being) would allude to it. I know he's not cranking them out every year or two like he was in the 1970s and 80s. It's funny how his disgust with MCA really curtailed his output in the early 1990s - just shy of FIVE years between albums from LIZARD to FRUITCAKES! But then we got 3 in 3 years (or 4 if you want to include CHRISTMAS ISLAND), a year off and then 2 in 2 years followed by a live album.

2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2013... five LPs in 11 years is not bad for a dude that is getting old but still going strong. I suppose he hasn't really had a reason to do new records but he does anyway because he seems to enjoy it, shitty songs anyway (that truly mystifies me that he likes making those songs).

Crap silly songs aside, he's had some good ones on the past few, more so on ST SOMEWHERE than the previous two.

Coolbreeze2444

Post by Coolbreeze2444 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Whenever you see him in the studio, he always seems to be having a really good time, so I can definitely see him continuing to make albums for a while.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright