Playing Jimmy Buffett's Music

Discuss anything related to Jimmy Buffett. Find more specific categories below
Coolbreeze2444
Number of Buffett shows attended: 5

Playing Jimmy Buffett's Music

Post by Coolbreeze2444 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Got tips for playing Jimmy's music? Want to share videos of you playing Jimmy's music? Have questions about how to play Jimmy's music? This is the place for it.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

slimerbacca
Number of Buffett shows attended: 13

Re: Playing Jimmy Buffett's Music

Post by slimerbacca » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:08 pm

Usually the strumming is the hardest part for me to figure out how to play songs. So I search "How to play ____ on guitar" and find some videos

This website has a bunch of Jimmy songs on it. Even has some uke lessons too

http://morethanguitar.com/

limejohnny

Post by limejohnny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Just got started on ukulele last month. Hopefully with some more practice I'll be able to contribute to the cause here. Something about the uke just feels right with JB.
There are beaches and bonfires inside us. www.bringlimes.com

Coolbreeze2444

Post by Coolbreeze2444 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:44 pm

limejohnny wrote:Just got started on ukulele last month. Hopefully with some more practice I'll be able to contribute to the cause here. Something about the uke just feels right with JB.
You might want to check this out: http://smile.amazon.com/Uke-Play-Jimmy- ... my+buffett

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

Coolbreeze2444

Post by Coolbreeze2444 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:47 pm

Another one: guitar tabs for 60 or so JB songs:http://www.guitaretab.com/b/buffett-jimmy/

karnowskij
Number of Buffett shows attended: 3

Post by karnowskij » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:42 am

Looking for sheet music, tab, or chords for "First Look", off the Floridays album. I've searched all the usual tab sites, Alfred Publishing etc and can only find lyrics.

Somewhere this has to be a matter of record (no pun intended ;-) ). What publishing company has the rights to the music? Maybe that's a way to get the info.

slimerbacca
Number of Buffett shows attended: 13

Post by slimerbacca » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:57 am

limejohnny wrote:Just got started on ukulele last month. Hopefully with some more practice I'll be able to contribute to the cause here. Something about the uke just feels right with JB.

What songs are you trying first?

limejohnny

Post by limejohnny » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:50 pm

What songs are you trying first?[/quote]

Sorry, I've been gone for a minute. Learning to play the ukulele! I started by looking for songs I especially like which include as many of the following chords as possible: C F G D Am. Because those happen to be the first ones I learned.

So The Wino and I Know, for example, is right up my alley (along with quite a few songs off the 3/4 Time album actually). I've really been digging it. Thanks to all for the additional guidance!
There are beaches and bonfires inside us. www.bringlimes.com

HurricaneSeason
Number of Buffett shows attended: 12

Post by HurricaneSeason » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:45 am

For the most part, JB's music is straight forward stuff. A kind of down the middle blues/country progression meets folk music. In the 1970s there was a pattern he used that appears on almost every album up to CILCIA (it may be on later albums, I just can't recall right now). It's those songs in D, like Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season or CILCIA where there's a turn around or bridge or some kind of change that almost always involves an F# minor! There are several songs where he does that. Captain And The Kid...

Or that bottom end run in, I think Great Filling Station Hold Up is one, where it goes to the E (50 cents worth, please and the Japanese TV line, those little turn arounds.. sippin' on a beer) to the A. That's another classic JB move. Nautical Wheelers does it... a lot of songs do it.

He seemed to get away from that for a while but it's popped back up recently. I've always attributed that to being part of his musical style.

What cracks me up is the odd bit though. That chord in Brahma Fear, I'm not sure what it's called, maybe A minor 7th? Or in Wonder Why We Ever Go Home, that descending intro - that he can't play correctly anymore as I noticed in the 2015 Key West rehearsals videos he posted! He'll throw in some odd chords and progressions here and there.

SharkysMV1
Number of Buffett shows attended: 9

Post by SharkysMV1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:33 am

Don't really mean to hijack this thread, but the F#minor comment is a prime example of the roadblock i'm facing in learning JB songs. I have pretty much mastered Margaritaville and Havana Daydreaming on my cheap fender acoustic, but I cannot get barre chords down. I know it takes a lot of practice and finger strength to get the barre down, but, does anyone else have any suggestions? Friends of mine have said I should spend a little more $$ on a better guitar that is easier to play.
"A little Cape Cod sand oozing out of my shoes..."