It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Marshall Chapman On Tour
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 11:27 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

Sometime Buffett collaborator and co-conspirator Marshall Chapman is currently on tour promoting her new album Big Lonesome as well as her latest book, They Came To Nashville. Some towns are getting both a performance and a book reading. To see if she's coming to your area, check her website here.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 11:55 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
Gotta say I wasn't too impressed with her when she appeared with Buffett at Nashville show

PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 1:36 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Gotta say I wasn't too impressed with her when she appeared with Buffett at Nashville show

It's been years since I've seen her live (96?) so I can't really say what she sounds like now. What I do know is that she's one hell of a storyteller (with two books to her name) and a magnificent songwriter. Looking forward to seeing her at Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh this weekend.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 4:54 pm 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
Jahfin wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:

It's been years since I've seen her live (96?) so I can't really say what she sounds like now. What I do know is that she's one hell of a storyteller (with two books to her name) and a magnificent songwriter. Looking forward to seeing her at Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh this weekend.

Let us know how she is

PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 10:06 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:

Let us know how she is

Will do. Looking forward to seeing her again after all of these years.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2010, 12:41 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 50
I'm on her mailing list and I have to disagree with Josh - I always enjoyed hearing her perform, whether she was opening for Jimmy or singing on her recordings.

Join me at Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/PirateJohn

Full-time RV'er, motorcyclist, and wanderer.
Currently living in the tropical paradise of the Rio Grande Valley.

"Nuevo Progreso. This must be what Key West was like 40 years ago ... before the tourists ran all the locals away."

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2010, 3:26 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

If Marshall Chapman comes anywhere near your town on this tour I highly recommend attending by any means possible. We got several great stories about Nashville from her new book as well as 2-3 songs from her new record. She's not only one hell of a storyteller but an outstanding songwriter. She spoke briefly of her bit part in the upcoming movie Country Strong starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Marshall plays the tour bus driver.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 1:46 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Looking forward to Marshall being back in the area next weekend. Here's an interview with her conducted by Buffett from when she was on Nashville Now on TNN back in the 80s with Buffett filling in for the usual host, Ralph Emery. By the way, the entire episode can be found on YouTube broken up into 9 parts including performances from Marshall, Dan Fogelberg and Buffett. It obviously came from a very well worn VHS tape but I'm just thankful to be able to see it at all since this is well before cable came to my area of NC and it will most likely never see any sort of official release on DVD.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 11:58 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

To anyone that's in the Triangle area of North Carolina, I highly recommend checking out Marshall when she passes through this weekend. She'll be in Durham Saturday night and Pittsboro Sunday afternoon. More details below from Durham's Independent Weekly.

01.22 MARSHALL CHAPMAN @ DURHAM HOUSE CONCERT

Did you see Country Strong? No? Well, Marshall Chapman was singled out in an otherwise scathing New York Times review for her "small, vivid" part as Gwyneth Paltrow's road manager. Chapman, the reviewer noted, "is going strong at 62 with songs in which a woman can run 'on a tank full of burning desire' and not just despair." Chapman is a songwriter's songwriter, but she is also a journalist: Her latest book, They Came to Nashville, a volume of interviews and adventures with the likes of Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Emmylou Harris, is now out in bookstores. She's also collaborated with local literary lights Lee Smith and Jill McCorkle on a musical, Good Ol' Girls, and her songs have been covered by Jimmy Buffet, John Hiatt, Wynonna and Joe Cocker. She'll be playing tonight in Durham at a house concert, and you'll want to head down to Fearrington Village tomorrow at 2 p.m. to hear her discuss her book at McIntyre's. For information on the concert, visit learnedplacemusic.net.
—David Fellerath

PostPosted: April 5th, 2011, 2:07 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Too bad there seems to be such a cut off when it comes to anyone that was in the Coral Reefer Band prior to the present line up because so many great performers (such as Keith Sykes and the late Tim Krekel) have passed through the ranks over the years. In any event, for those that are interested No Depression has a great article about Marshall's new book, They Came To Nashville that you can read here.