It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 8:49 am 
Offline
Last One Standing
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2008, 1:51 pm
Posts: 2367
Location: Far Side of the World
No. Of Shows Attended: 10
HurricaneSeason wrote:
He wanted to do a tour of just ballads but thought nobody would like it because of no Cheeseburger and Margaritaville and all the other songs that get played all the time, the SJPTD.

Which I find to be hilarious. Seems to me people would love to hear something different.

It is kind of scary to think that he came up with that song, Learned To Be Cool, and that that is the only tune he's written in a while like that - I bet he's got tons of songs like that layin' around!

There are three Buffett written (as in only Jimmy) songs on BH. One is outstanding, WLTOBCFY, one is very nice, Beautiful Swimmers, and the other one is another stupid awful cheesy sprawl song that he seems to continue doing for some reason (Turn Up The Heat...).

I wish he'd stop doing those stupid "funny" songs and do good serious songs.


Oh yes, I'm absolutely convinced that Jimmy has a stockpile of beautifully written songs that have never seen the light of day yet. In fact, I have one in my possession that has never seen the light of day :wink:

_________________
Bless me father, yes I have sinned. Given the chance I'll probably do it again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 10:19 am 
Offline
Gypsy in the Palace
User avatar

Joined: April 21st, 2005, 2:18 pm
Posts: 5076
Somewhere in there lies a delicate balance. I love his songs with a humorous bent, it's the ones that delve entirely into novelty territory that I have little to no patience for. How absolute shit like "Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rosé" ends up on his records is beyond me. For most folks that song isn't even good enough for the cutting room floor.

_________________
Getting all excited finding nothing that was never there before is like bringing flowers to your Mama and tracking dog shit all over the floor
From "Cartoon Gold" by the Drive-By Truckers from the album Go-Go Boots


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 10:43 am 
Offline
I am a person my parents warned me about
User avatar

Joined: October 31st, 2003, 12:29 pm
Posts: 46569
Location: The Ozarks
No. Of Shows Attended: 11
Jahfin wrote:
How absolute shit like "Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rosé" ends up on his records is beyond me.


I laughed out loud at that line... but agree with you

_________________
Follow me on Twitter! @joshdmartin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 2:12 pm 
Offline
Last One Standing
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2008, 1:51 pm
Posts: 2367
Location: Far Side of the World
No. Of Shows Attended: 10
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
How absolute shit like "Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rosé" ends up on his records is beyond me.


I laughed out loud at that line... but agree with you


:rolling: :notworthy:

_________________
Bless me father, yes I have sinned. Given the chance I'll probably do it again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 6:02 pm 
Offline
Living My Life Like A Song
User avatar

Joined: September 5th, 2010, 12:37 am
Posts: 758
No. Of Shows Attended: 18
Hell, there could be a compilation of those absolute shit songs (including covers) with the emphasis on the latter part of the discography!

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Vampires, Mummies And The Holy Ghost
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Party At The End Of The World
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top
Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 6:46 pm 
Offline
Taking The Weather With Me
User avatar

Joined: April 2nd, 2004, 3:09 pm
Posts: 10214
Location: .....Coastal Georgia....
it can depend, greatly, on where you are, who you're with. what particular atmosphere is surrounding you when some of the above songs are being played.

consider, Pencil Thin Mustache, a somewhat cheezy song, but def a sing along @concerts and almost anywhere it's played

Turn up the heat and chill the rose' isn't that bad of song to listen to @5:40 am cruzin' down Hwy. 17S on my way to work.

_________________
Sooners Sooners Sooners Sooners Sooners Sooners Sooners Sooners Sooners Sooners Sooners

Image Image


"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. "
~ Albert Schweitzer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 9:22 pm 
Offline
I am a person my parents warned me about
User avatar

Joined: October 31st, 2003, 12:29 pm
Posts: 46569
Location: The Ozarks
No. Of Shows Attended: 11
HurricaneSeason wrote:
Hell, there could be a compilation of those absolute shit songs (including covers) with the emphasis on the latter part of the discography!

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Vampires, Mummies And The Holy Ghost
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Party At The End Of The World
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top
Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé


I'd put Simply Complicated and Everybody's on the Phone on that list too.

I do like "Livin' It Up" though :lol:

_________________
Follow me on Twitter! @joshdmartin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 9:32 pm 
Offline
Nothin' but a Breeze
User avatar

Joined: August 5th, 2008, 1:38 pm
Posts: 8789
Location: Somewhere other than here
No. Of Shows Attended: 4
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
HurricaneSeason wrote:
Hell, there could be a compilation of those absolute shit songs (including covers) with the emphasis on the latter part of the discography!

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Vampires, Mummies And The Holy Ghost
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Party At The End Of The World
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top
Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé


I'd put Simply Complicated and Everybody's on the Phone on that list too.

I do like "Livin' It Up" though :lol:


Hey! I LIKE Everybody's on the Phone!

_________________
Image
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 7:39 am 
Offline
Living My Life Like A Song
User avatar

Joined: September 5th, 2010, 12:37 am
Posts: 758
No. Of Shows Attended: 18
Those songs I picked are songwriting and production nightmares. I do actually like Livin' It Up - but those drums just destroy the song. Cultural Infidel has a great bridge in it, otherwise it's a worthless song. Same with Math Suks.

Everybody's On The Phone is nothing like PATEOTW or TUTHACTR in any way. Simply Complicated, as goofy as it is, is nowhere near as bad as those two I just mentioned either!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 11:59 am 
Offline
Last One Standing
User avatar

Joined: March 20th, 2004, 8:19 pm
Posts: 1485
Location: Lake Forest Park, Washington
No. Of Shows Attended: 5
HurricaneSeason wrote:
Hell, there could be a compilation of those absolute shit songs (including covers) with the emphasis on the latter part of the discography!

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Vampires, Mummies And The Holy Ghost
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Party At The End Of The World
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top
Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé


I have to defend "Livin' It Up". Has an awesome riff. I never had anything against "If It All Falls Down", though it's certainly no masterpiece--but I hope he plays it in 2011 as a nod to his fall. "Cultural Infidel" is simply badass, as is any song off of Banana Wind no matter how corny--last awsome Buffett album IMHO, though Far Side of the World is pretty good.

"Vampires, Mummies and the Holy Ghost" is funny. Maybe not as funny as "Cheeseburger in Paradise" or "Pencil Thin Mustache", but still clever in a Buffett sort of way.

"Everybody's on the Run" is a very weak opener, and I also think "The Perfect Partner" makes Last Mango in Paris a rather weak album. "Math Suks"; math doesn't suck as much as this song. "Autour Du Rocher", I've listened to this song several times and it still hasn't grown on me; I tried, but yeah it's terrible. "Party at the End of the World" is shitty, though "Silver Wings" and "Here We Are" don't bring Take the Weather With You down as much as "Party"; I'd say "Bama Breeze" and "Everybody's on the Phone" are easily worse than "Silver Wings" and "Here We Are"; I was also disappointed by the Crowded House cover. "Big Top" and "Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé" are bad, but so is everything off of Buffet Hotel.

I'd like to add "Bank of Bad Habits". Also, a compilation of Buffett's worse songs would require a lot of room since most of the songs off of Hot Water, Beach House on the Moon, License to Chill and Buffet Hotel would all make the cut.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: April 9th, 2011, 3:38 pm 
Offline
Living My Life Like A Song
User avatar

Joined: September 5th, 2010, 12:37 am
Posts: 758
No. Of Shows Attended: 18
Geeky Randy wrote:
"Cultural Infidel" is simply badass, as is any song off of Banana Wind no matter how corny--last awsome Buffett album IMHO, though Far Side of the World is pretty good.

"Vampires, Mummies and the Holy Ghost" is funny. Maybe not as funny as "Cheeseburger in Paradise" or "Pencil Thin Mustache", but still clever in a Buffett sort of way.

"Everybody's on the Run" is a very weak opener, and I also think "The Perfect Partner" makes Last Mango in Paris a rather weak album. "Math Suks"; math doesn't suck as much as this song. "Autour Du Rocher", I've listened to this song several times and it still hasn't grown on me; I tried, but yeah it's terrible. "Party at the End of the World" is shitty, though "Silver Wings" and "Here We Are" don't bring Take the Weather With You down as much as "Party"; I'd say "Bama Breeze" and "Everybody's on the Phone" are easily worse than "Silver Wings" and "Here We Are"; I was also disappointed by the Crowded House cover. "Big Top" and "Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé" are bad, but so is everything off of Buffet Hotel.

I'd like to add "Bank of Bad Habits". Also, a compilation of Buffett's worse songs would require a lot of room since most of the songs off of Hot Water, Beach House on the Moon, License to Chill and Buffet Hotel would all make the cut.

Wow. You think Cultural Infidel is badass? I see we have very severe differences in what we each deem to be bad, shit or good! That's hilarious that you think Silver Wings and Here We Are are better than Bama Breeze and Everybody's On The Phone - that's incredible.

I contemplated including Bad Habits, mostly because Jimmy says "ATM machine" in it when he's such a literary buff you think he'd say it right. I wonder if he'll ever say "UPC code" in a song.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: April 9th, 2011, 7:28 pm 
Offline
Last One Standing
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2008, 1:51 pm
Posts: 2367
Location: Far Side of the World
No. Of Shows Attended: 10
HurricaneSeason wrote:
Hell, there could be a compilation of those absolute shit songs (including covers) with the emphasis on the latter part of the discography!

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Vampires, Mummies And The Holy Ghost
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Party At The End Of The World
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top
Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé



I've always liked those two songs. I think they describe my life to a tee :wink:

_________________
Bless me father, yes I have sinned. Given the chance I'll probably do it again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: July 9th, 2011, 7:48 am 
Offline
Living My Life Like A Song
User avatar

Joined: September 5th, 2010, 12:37 am
Posts: 758
No. Of Shows Attended: 18
I've been searching but can't find it: Jimmy said he's thinking of only releasing some new songs via iTunes since no one "seems to be buying albums anymore" or some statement like that, which I find hard to believe since his LPs have been selling well. LTC and TTWWY sold really well and BH sold decently.

If that's true then Buffet Hotel was his last LP.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: July 10th, 2011, 4:31 pm 
Offline
Last One Standing
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2008, 1:51 pm
Posts: 2367
Location: Far Side of the World
No. Of Shows Attended: 10
HurricaneSeason wrote:
I've been searching but can't find it: Jimmy said he's thinking of only releasing some new songs via iTunes since no one "seems to be buying albums anymore" or some statement like that, which I find hard to believe since his LPs have been selling well. LTC and TTWWY sold really well and BH sold decently.

If that's true then Buffet Hotel was his last LP.


I think there will be another LP, but that's just my opinion. Also, I can't wait for Buried Treasure to be realeased! :peace:

_________________
Bless me father, yes I have sinned. Given the chance I'll probably do it again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 2:01 pm 
Offline
Last One Standing
User avatar

Joined: March 26th, 2006, 12:28 am
Posts: 1287
Location: The Aux Arcs
No. Of Shows Attended: 6
Geeky Randy wrote:
is simply badass, as is any song off of Banana Wind no matter how corny--last awsome Buffett album IMHO,


You hit the nail on the head right there.

_________________
"I arm myself with punch lines and a big old water gun."

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group