It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 8:49 am 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 10
HurricaneSeason wrote:
He wanted to do a tour of just ballads but thought nobody would like it because of no Cheeseburger and Margaritaville and all the other songs that get played all the time, the SJPTD.

Which I find to be hilarious. Seems to me people would love to hear something different.

It is kind of scary to think that he came up with that song, Learned To Be Cool, and that that is the only tune he's written in a while like that - I bet he's got tons of songs like that layin' around!

There are three Buffett written (as in only Jimmy) songs on BH. One is outstanding, WLTOBCFY, one is very nice, Beautiful Swimmers, and the other one is another stupid awful cheesy sprawl song that he seems to continue doing for some reason (Turn Up The Heat...).

I wish he'd stop doing those stupid "funny" songs and do good serious songs.

Oh yes, I'm absolutely convinced that Jimmy has a stockpile of beautifully written songs that have never seen the light of day yet. In fact, I have one in my possession that has never seen the light of day :wink:

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 10:19 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

Somewhere in there lies a delicate balance. I love his songs with a humorous bent, it's the ones that delve entirely into novelty territory that I have little to no patience for. How absolute shit like "Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rosé" ends up on his records is beyond me. For most folks that song isn't even good enough for the cutting room floor.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 10:43 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
Jahfin wrote:
How absolute shit like "Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rosé" ends up on his records is beyond me.

I laughed out loud at that line... but agree with you

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 2:12 pm 
Last One Standing

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
How absolute shit like "Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rosé" ends up on his records is beyond me.

I laughed out loud at that line... but agree with you

:rolling: :notworthy:

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 6:02 pm 
Living My Life Like A Song

No. Of Shows Attended: 18
Hell, there could be a compilation of those absolute shit songs (including covers) with the emphasis on the latter part of the discography!

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Vampires, Mummies And The Holy Ghost
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Party At The End Of The World
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top
Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 6:46 pm 
Taking The Weather With Me

it can depend, greatly, on where you are, who you're with. what particular atmosphere is surrounding you when some of the above songs are being played.

consider, Pencil Thin Mustache, a somewhat cheezy song, but def a sing along @concerts and almost anywhere it's played

Turn up the heat and chill the rose' isn't that bad of song to listen to @5:40 am cruzin' down Hwy. 17S on my way to work.

Image Image

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. "
~ Albert Schweitzer

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 9:22 pm 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
HurricaneSeason wrote:
Hell, there could be a compilation of those absolute shit songs (including covers) with the emphasis on the latter part of the discography!

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top

I'd put Simply Complicated and Everybody's on the Phone on that list too.

I do like "Livin' It Up" though :lol:

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 9:32 pm 
Nothin' but a Breeze

No. Of Shows Attended: 4
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
HurricaneSeason wrote:

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top

I'd put Simply Complicated and Everybody's on the Phone on that list too.

I do like "Livin' It Up" though :lol:

Hey! I LIKE Everybody's on the Phone!

PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 7:39 am 

Those songs I picked are songwriting and production nightmares. I do actually like Livin' It Up - but those drums just destroy the song. Cultural Infidel has a great bridge in it, otherwise it's a worthless song. Same with Math Suks.

Everybody's On The Phone is nothing like PATEOTW or TUTHACTR in any way. Simply Complicated, as goofy as it is, is nowhere near as bad as those two I just mentioned either!

PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 11:59 am 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 5
HurricaneSeason wrote:

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top

I have to defend "Livin' It Up". Has an awesome riff. I never had anything against "If It All Falls Down", though it's certainly no masterpiece--but I hope he plays it in 2011 as a nod to his fall. "Cultural Infidel" is simply badass, as is any song off of Banana Wind no matter how corny--last awsome Buffett album IMHO, though Far Side of the World is pretty good.

"Vampires, Mummies and the Holy Ghost" is funny. Maybe not as funny as "Cheeseburger in Paradise" or "Pencil Thin Mustache", but still clever in a Buffett sort of way.

"Everybody's on the Run" is a very weak opener, and I also think "The Perfect Partner" makes Last Mango in Paris a rather weak album. "Math Suks"; math doesn't suck as much as this song. "Autour Du Rocher", I've listened to this song several times and it still hasn't grown on me; I tried, but yeah it's terrible. "Party at the End of the World" is shitty, though "Silver Wings" and "Here We Are" don't bring Take the Weather With You down as much as "Party"; I'd say "Bama Breeze" and "Everybody's on the Phone" are easily worse than "Silver Wings" and "Here We Are"; I was also disappointed by the Crowded House cover. "Big Top" and "Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé" are bad, but so is everything off of Buffet Hotel.

I'd like to add "Bank of Bad Habits". Also, a compilation of Buffett's worse songs would require a lot of room since most of the songs off of Hot Water, Beach House on the Moon, License to Chill and Buffet Hotel would all make the cut.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2011, 3:38 pm 

Geeky Randy wrote:
"Cultural Infidel" is simply badass, as is any song off of Banana Wind no matter how corny--last awsome Buffett album IMHO, though Far Side of the World is pretty good.

"Vampires, Mummies and the Holy Ghost" is funny. Maybe not as funny as "Cheeseburger in Paradise" or "Pencil Thin Mustache", but still clever in a Buffett sort of way.

"Everybody's on the Run" is a very weak opener, and I also think "The Perfect Partner" makes Last Mango in Paris a rather weak album. "Math Suks"; math doesn't suck as much as this song. "Autour Du Rocher", I've listened to this song several times and it still hasn't grown on me; I tried, but yeah it's terrible. "Party at the End of the World" is shitty, though "Silver Wings" and "Here We Are" don't bring Take the Weather With You down as much as "Party"; I'd say "Bama Breeze" and "Everybody's on the Phone" are easily worse than "Silver Wings" and "Here We Are"; I was also disappointed by the Crowded House cover. "Big Top" and "Turn Up The Heat and Chill The Rosé" are bad, but so is everything off of Buffet Hotel.

I'd like to add "Bank of Bad Habits". Also, a compilation of Buffett's worse songs would require a lot of room since most of the songs off of Hot Water, Beach House on the Moon, License to Chill and Buffet Hotel would all make the cut.

Wow. You think Cultural Infidel is badass? I see we have very severe differences in what we each deem to be bad, shit or good! That's hilarious that you think Silver Wings and Here We Are are better than Bama Breeze and Everybody's On The Phone - that's incredible.

I contemplated including Bad Habits, mostly because Jimmy says "ATM machine" in it when he's such a literary buff you think he'd say it right. I wonder if he'll ever say "UPC code" in a song.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2011, 7:28 pm 
Last One Standing

HurricaneSeason wrote:

Livin’ It Up
Everybody’s On The Run
If It All Falls Down
Cultural Infidel
Math Suks
Autour du Rocher
Silver Wings
Here We Are
Big Top

I've always liked those two songs. I think they describe my life to a tee :wink:

PostPosted: July 9th, 2011, 7:48 am 

I've been searching but can't find it: Jimmy said he's thinking of only releasing some new songs via iTunes since no one "seems to be buying albums anymore" or some statement like that, which I find hard to believe since his LPs have been selling well. LTC and TTWWY sold really well and BH sold decently.

If that's true then Buffet Hotel was his last LP.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2011, 4:31 pm 
Last One Standing

HurricaneSeason wrote:
I've been searching but can't find it: Jimmy said he's thinking of only releasing some new songs via iTunes since no one "seems to be buying albums anymore" or some statement like that, which I find hard to believe since his LPs have been selling well. LTC and TTWWY sold really well and BH sold decently.

If that's true then Buffet Hotel was his last LP.

I think there will be another LP, but that's just my opinion. Also, I can't wait for Buried Treasure to be realeased! :peace:

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 2:01 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 6
Geeky Randy wrote:
is simply badass, as is any song off of Banana Wind no matter how corny--last awsome Buffett album IMHO,

You hit the nail on the head right there.