It is currently August 20th, 2014, 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 9:55 am 
Living My Life Like A Song

No. Of Shows Attended: 18
Has there been any mention about a new studio record? It's been 2 years since Buffet Hotel came out. Perhaps sales of it were not what he hoped for so he's just not going to bother. Maybe he's not interested anymore anyway. He's gotta stop at some point.

Seems that with radiomargaritaville playing recorded shows from the 1970s-1990s that he'd release some good live albums, like from the Coconut, SOChina, OPHarbour and Chameleon Caravan tours...or not. Why bother with that when they're on there?

Maybe because there are people out there that don't listen to radiomargaritaville and would like some live albums from those tours.

Post subject: Re: New Buffett LP?
PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 10:01 am 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
I haven't heard any rumors on a new studio album, except a year or so ago there was some talk that he might redo One Particular Harbour.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 2:24 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

I really hope he never sees fit to re-record One Particular Harbor, the remakes on Meet Me In Margaritaville were bad enough. Well, not really bad as much as unnecessary. The axiom, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. Hell, the guy couldn't even follow through on his promise to perform an entire record each night (not to mention the Coastal Confessions DVD which still hasn't seen the light of day) so there's probably nothing to worry about. At this point in his career I'd rather see more stuff along the lines of his Outer Banks diary. Not exactly compelling but it was much more interesting than the majority of his recent songwriting.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 2:43 pm 

Jahfin wrote:
At this point in his career I'd rather see more stuff along the lines of his Outer Banks diary. Not exactly compelling but it was much more interesting than the majority of his recent songwriting.

Would love to see more of that too

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 8:21 pm 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 10
Truthfully, I actually liked the re-recordings on Meet Me in Margaritaville, especially Saxophones and He Went to Paris. I would agree that some of the songwriting may not be a poignant as in decades gone by, BUT there are some songs on Buffet Hotel that I really like. Overall, I thought it was a good album. I'll say this, I'm never going to object to a new JB studio CD :peace:

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 8:57 pm 

I'll always welcome a new studio CD too.

I've said this before but I'll say it again... I think Fruitcakes was his last good studio album. And he had more time before that album than any other studio album I believe. 3 or 4 years.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 11:37 pm 
Last One Standing

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
I'll always welcome a new studio CD too.

I've said this before but I'll say it again... I think Fruitcakes was his last good studio album. And he had more time before that album than any other studio album I believe. 3 or 4 years.

Actually, I believe it was five. "Off to See the Lizard" was released in 1989 I believe, and "Fruitcakes" was 1994.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 10:41 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

parrothead mania wrote:
Truthfully, I actually liked the re-recordings on Meet Me in Margaritaville, especially Saxophones and He Went to Paris.

I liked them too, I just think they were unnecessary. I would have rather heard more songs that didn't get their due via the box set or Songs You Know By Heart.

I would also welcome a new studio record. I quite enjoyed the majority of Buffet Hotel, it had only a couple of cringe worthy moments.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 7:26 pm 
Last One Standing

Jahfin wrote:
parrothead mania wrote:
Truthfully, I actually liked the re-recordings on Meet Me in Margaritaville, especially Saxophones and He Went to Paris.

I liked them too, I just think they were unnecessary. I would have rather heard more songs that didn't get their due via the box set or Songs You Know By Heart.

I would also welcome a new studio record. I quite enjoyed the majority of Buffet Hotel, it had only a couple of cringe worthy moments.

Agreed! There are about two songs on buffet Hotel that I always skip over, but it also has some really solid songs with staying power on it as well.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 8:21 pm 

I liked the new recordings of Saxophones and The Captain And The Kid. SOAS was...I dunno. Yeah, shit, unnecessary is the correct word. Don't care for Nadirah's singing - on anything. The updated Volcano was funny - at first. Goes to show that MCA is willing to let the masters be dealt with though because everything on MMIM was remastered and, of course, the new stuff was mastered. In regards to a new recording of the One Particular Harbour LP I could do without an updated version of Livin' It Up...unless it just has congas on it.

Buffet Hotel was, I think, actually better sounding than TTWWY but has less good songs on it. I thought BH had 6 solid songs on it and the rest are from OK to flat out horrible (TUTHACTR is as awful as PATEOTW).

Coastal Confessions must be stuck on the OTHER mailboat...in the Bermuda Triangle of future releases.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 10:39 pm 
Feels Like Goin' Surfing in a Hurricane

No. Of Shows Attended: 3
I'm all for a new album but I would like it to feel like he put some effort into it. I don't feel like any album since "Far Side of the World" has sounded like a Buffett album. Even that one has some what was he thinking moments on it. Mostly though I wish he would return to his roots and drop the big band and all the rock shit and go back to some simple Folk music. It seems to me a few times in recent years he has came close to doing this but in typical fashion, he winds up doing the same thing he always has.

We learned to stay cool from you

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 10:12 am 

That throwback kind of Buffett you're talking about is there on Buffet Hotel - on We Learned To Be Cool From You! That's as old skool as yer gonna get I think. It has elements of some of the FSOTW production in it but sounds like it could have come from Somewhere Over China, Floridays or maybe most likely Hot Water to my ears.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 2:27 pm 
Feels Like Goin' Surfing in a Hurricane

No. Of Shows Attended: 3
HurricaneSeason wrote:
That throwback kind of Buffett you're talking about is there on Buffet Hotel - on We Learned To Be Cool From You! That's as old skool as yer gonna get I think. It has elements of some of the FSOTW production in it but sounds like it could have come from Somewhere Over China, Floridays or maybe most likely Hot Water to my ears.
Yeah, that is a nice one, I'm hoping he closes with it solo acoustic one day. Songs like that prove he could still write a great album, he just doesn't put it all together for whatever reason. Jimmy's at his best with ballads, always has been, but he doesn't wanna do a whole album of those and I understand that although I really wish he would.

We learned to stay cool from you

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 5:26 pm 
Last One Standing

Mr. Other Me wrote:
HurricaneSeason wrote:
Yeah, that is a nice one, I'm hoping he closes with it solo acoustic one day. Songs like that prove he could still write a great album, he just doesn't put it all together for whatever reason. Jimmy's at his best with ballads, always has been, but he doesn't wanna do a whole album of those and I understand that although I really wish he would.

An album of ballads would be sweeet! :peace:

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 4:56 am 

He wanted to do a tour of just ballads but thought nobody would like it because of no Cheeseburger and Margaritaville and all the other songs that get played all the time, the SJPTD.

Which I find to be hilarious. Seems to me people would love to hear something different.

It is kind of scary to think that he came up with that song, Learned To Be Cool, and that that is the only tune he's written in a while like that - I bet he's got tons of songs like that layin' around!

There are three Buffett written (as in only Jimmy) songs on BH. One is outstanding, WLTOBCFY, one is very nice, Beautiful Swimmers, and the other one is another stupid awful cheesy sprawl song that he seems to continue doing for some reason (Turn Up The Heat...).

I wish he'd stop doing those stupid "funny" songs and do good serious songs.