It is currently July 25th, 2014, 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Buffett Re-Masters
PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 11:52 pm 
Living My Life Like A Song

No. Of Shows Attended: 18
There was just a small change made...

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 11:55 pm 

It's not like they own it. I changed it. In fact, the link was actually wrong to begin with for that live album. It took a few minutes to figure it out.

I really don't care for wikipedia but someone sent me something recently and I got so astonished at how incorrect it was I went ahead and signed up so I could fix it.

So...I thought, upon going back through these pages... it's the only one, as far as for what all I looked at.

Last edited by HurricaneSeason on December 22nd, 2011, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 11:41 am 

Jahfin wrote:
I don't really see any need to take the current box set out of print but I would be all for a newly updated one. Either that or reissues that include a second disc full of bonus tracks. I would also be all for an expanded edition of You Had To Be There.

I know this is old but here's a reason to take the box set out of circulation - it needs to be remastered! It sounds better than the shitty original CDs but we're talking only by a few c-hairs.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 12:05 pm 

I suppose MCA/UMG don't have to do anything as long as the tracks are digitally available. They can just keep shuffling the same old shitty original CD masters around.

Yet the industry is trying to make everything as loud as possible.

So even in that regard they've been failing with JB's catalogue ever since 1994 with the 1973-1989 CDs.

The master tapes - which are basically compressed and EQed first copy of the master mix down - need to be used, not copies of copies of masters like how U2's catalogue used to be.

As it is bands that want to do further work or remix old tracks transfer the multi-track master tapes to Pro Tools. Which is a good idea to do no matter what because the tapes won't last forever. And when they go... so it's good to have several digital backups.

So what the hell is up UMG's ass? EMI - which is now part of UMG or UMe or whatever you want to call Universal - just remastered all of Pink Floyd's catalogue. The troglodytes at buffettnews saying no one will buy JB's albums that have been properly remastered for CD (and maybe even reissued on vinyl since vinyl doesn't need a remastering!) is a bunch of crap. People will still buy CDs. They buy all the Margaritaville garbage. This is the music. Big difference.

If UMG were to pull all the MCA studio albums and replace them with properly remastered and updated artwork etc and didn't tell anyone ie a lot of hype, well, they'd still sell. Because people would figure it out.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:05 pm 
Rookie

No. Of Shows Attended: 5
I'm listening to "You Had To Be There" on LP right now. It's great, doesn't get any better. I do wish the VHS stuff would come out on DVD though. VINYL RULES!!!!!

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 4:16 pm 
Gypsy in the Palace

Considering the nice job Rhino did with the Grateful Dead on the Golden Road and Beyond Description box sets, I could only imagine what they could do with Buffett's back catalog. Oh, and the BuffettNews folks would be among the first in line to buy them. Their resistance probably had more to do with just playing devil's advocate towards myself and Parrot Monkey than anything else.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2011, 8:43 am 

I finally have a computer with enough hard drive space. What would be a good program to get to load music into to 'remaster' it as well as make edits and cross fade live tracks etc for making CDs?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7