It is currently October 21st, 2014, 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 4:49 pm 
I am a person my parents warned me about

No. Of Shows Attended: 11
The past few weeks we have seen more than one thread start with debate, and a few pages later end up with name-calling. We have prided ourselves here at BW on freedom of speech, and lack of censorship. However, I think it's time that a policy go into effect to protect the harmony and attitude of the discussion board. There are some faithful members of BuffettWorld who have stopped posting because of the constant barrage of personal attacks that they have to sift through. There's no place for that. We can all have civilized debates without resorting to name calling.

Here's the new policy:

1st offense - Warning
2nd offense - 30 day suspension
3rd offense - Permanent ban

Now this policy applies to EVERYONE, including moderators, and registered members. No favoritism or animosity will be shown to one person or groups of people.

If any of this is unclear, please feel free to ask questions in this thread.

Use this button ---> Image to report posts that may be in violation of the policy.

I'm grateful for each and every one of you who post here and have turned BW into the great place that it is. Let's keep it that way!

:Toast:

-Josh

=================================================

AMMENDMENT

I've had some folks ask me about this and so we've decided to alter the policy with regards to durations.

Once you commit your first offense and you get a warning, that warning remains in effect for 90 days. If during that 90 days, you commit a second offense, you get a 30 day ban. Once that 30 day ban is up, you then have a 6 month period that if you commit another offense, you get the permanent ban. If the 90 days expire without a second offense, then you go back to having zero offenses. Same for if you complete the 6 month period after your 30 day ban without another offense, you go back to have zero offenses.

I reserve the right to take action though against someone who takes advantage of these periods, for example by violating the policy the day after your 90 days is up because you know that you won't actually be given the 30 day ban, you'll just be getting the warning and another 90 day period. So let's not do that :yay:

PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 9:30 pm 
Last One Standing

:clap: :Toast:

PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 10:56 pm 
Will Play For Gumbo

No. Of Shows Attended: 420
So as I read this..... "name calling" and "personal attacks" is the problem? Just want to be clear.

You mention "name calling" twice, and "constant barrage of personal attacks".

My wife calls me an a*shole everyday, but I ain't banned her yet. :dunno:

I understand "personal attacks" but what constitutes "name calling"? Di*k, A*s, dunmb**s, ..... :dunno:

Your site, your rules...... I ain't broke none of those two yet(that I know of). But I would like to know what constitutes/defines the two.

Thanks?!?!?!?

virgin prthd wrote:
"oh Good! It's only gonna be about 4 inches"

virgin prthd wrote:
Holy shit now I can't remember how to put it in there!!!!

FruitCakeDawg wrote:
God I miss hardwood

virgin prthd wrote:
...find the hole and plug it up now!

PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 11:10 pm 

BlueMountainBear wrote:
So as I read this..... "name calling" and "personal attacks" is the problem? Just want to be clear.

I understand "personal attacks" but what constitutes "name calling"? Di*k, A*s, dunmb**s, ..... :dunno:

Your site, your rules...... I ain't broke none of those two yet(that I know of). But I would like to know what constitutes/defines the two.

Thanks?!?!?!?

It leaves a small amount of room for interpretation, but any name calling in a derogatory way. I don't think I need to make out a whole list of names. If you think it might be considered name calling than it would be best to bite your tongue.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 7:20 am 
Take Me to Your Blender!

I think we all know what Josh is referring to.....
I mean I can still call someone an Asshat if they make fun of me right? :lol:
Seriously..and Josh if I'm wrong, please correct me...but I believe you are referring to direct and personal attacks on a person's beliefs or way of life or family etc.... And if that is the case, then I whole heartedly agree with you and appreciate the change! :clap: And before you all call me an :moon: kisser, I have felt this way for a LONG time! I think everyone here has something to contribute, be it sense of humor, information, specific knowledge on certain topics...current events etc.... which I very much enjoy. Let's keep the BS out of it and just enjoy this place for what it is. Just my 2 cents :wink:

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 7:56 am 
Will Play For Gumbo

No. Of Shows Attended: 420
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
BlueMountainBear wrote:

Thanks?!?!?!?

It leaves a small amount of room for interpretation, but any name calling in a derogatory way. I don't think I need to make out a whole list of names. If you think it might be considered name calling than it would be best to bite your tongue.

*poof*

virgin prthd wrote:
"oh Good! It's only gonna be about 4 inches"

virgin prthd wrote:
Holy shit now I can't remember how to put it in there!!!!

FruitCakeDawg wrote:
God I miss hardwood

virgin prthd wrote:
...find the hole and plug it up now!

Last edited by BlueMountainBear on September 19th, 2007, 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 8:11 am 
Take Me to Your Blender!

BlueMountainBear wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
BlueMountainBear wrote:

Thanks?!?!?!?

This will be tough with Dean weilding his almighty "warning wand"....

8)

:spew: :rolling: :rolling: :clap: good one Bear

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 8:28 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

virgin prthd wrote:
Seriously..and Josh if I'm wrong, please correct me...but I believe you are referring to direct and personal attacks on a person's beliefs or way of life or family etc.... And if that is the case, then I whole heartedly agree with you and appreciate the change! :clap: And before you all call me an :moon: kisser, I have felt this way for a LONG time! I think everyone here has something to contribute, be it sense of humor, information, specific knowledge on certain topics...current events etc.... which I very much enjoy. Let's keep the BS out of it and just enjoy this place for what it is. Just my 2 cents :wink:

I agree, Beth....and if you're an ass kisser....I'm right there with you.
I hate coming here and finding threads full of contention and animosity......

As for name calling, I'm sure it's about intent.....

http://www.myspace.com/parrotheadpaige

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 8:37 am 
Take Me to Your Blender!

UtahPH wrote:
virgin prthd wrote:

I agree, Beth....and if you're an ass kisser....I'm right there with you.
I hate coming here and finding threads full of contention and animosity......

As for name calling, I'm sure it's about intent.....

I hate mean spirited threads of any kind as well Paige no matter who they involve and no matter who they are aimed at. It just all doesn't make sense to me. Call me nieve (sp)? but I prefer to have us all laughing about something rather than spewing garbage at each other
:yay:

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 9:32 am 
El Presidente for Life

Josh and the Mods have been looking things over for some time now. The intent of the announcement was to let everyone know there are boundries. Good natured ribbing is fine as long as it doesn't cross over into trying to hurt someones feelings or make a fool of them. I think we are all mature enough to figure out that Beth telling Dean to "Bite me Loosah" is in the "Good nature catagory"

Josh is right, if you think that a post might be taken wrong then it would be best not to make that post.

I for one am totaly behind the effort to make this board a more inviting place for Parrotheads to come together for fun and friendship.

I met the Invisible Man and I can prove it.
I had my picture taken with him.........

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 9:33 am 
Last One Standing

No. Of Shows Attended: 50
virgin prthd wrote:

I hate mean spirited threads of any kind as well Paige no matter who they involve and no matter who they are aimed at. It just all doesn't make sense to me. Call me nieve (sp)? but I prefer to have us all laughing about something rather than spewing garbage at each other
:yay:

A-men.

I'd like to add that I emailed Josh and suggested that if the political threads were going to get heated that we just drop them all together. There is no place for some of the nasty stuff that has been going on, regardless of where your opinion is at.

I think that someone else's comment about "attacking beliefs" is 100% correct. We may all accidentally step on toes at times, but a few folks just want to rub others' noses in their own way of doing things, which results in those on the other side posting the opposite viewpoint, and the cycle continues.

With that said, personally, I think that 30 days as a 2nd offense is a bit harsh. I have seen other forums do 1 day to 1 week for relatively minor transgressions. Then again, I have seen some ban folks for life for not putting posts in the proper category, so whatever floats your boat :shakehead:

Anywho, here's to peace and harmony. :peace:

Join me at Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/PirateJohn

Full-time RV'er, motorcyclist, and wanderer.
Currently living in the tropical paradise of the Rio Grande Valley.

"Nuevo Progreso. This must be what Key West was like 40 years ago ... before the tourists ran all the locals away."

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 9:38 am 
Gypsy in the Palace

Pair8head wrote:
Josh and the Mods have been looking things over for some time now. The intent of the announcement was to let everyone know there are boundries. Good natured ribbing is fine as long as it doesn't cross over into trying to hurt someones feelings or make a fool of them. I think we are all mature enough to figure out that Beth telling Dean to "Bite me Loosah" is in the "Good nature catagory"

Josh is right, if you think that a post might be taken wrong then it would be best not to make that post.

I for one am totaly behind the effort to make this board a more inviting place for Parrotheads to come together for fun and friendship.

:clap: :yay: :clap: :yay:

http://www.myspace.com/parrotheadpaige

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 9:44 am 

virgin prthd wrote:

You are absolutely right :yay:

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 9:50 am 
Unemployed Beach Bum

No. Of Shows Attended: 15
Pair8head wrote:

Well said!

Wishing I was still in St. John because I think I have found me a home.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 12:47 pm 
Splashing Naked In The Water

No. Of Shows Attended: 14
And this is cool too cause we all know its the truth.

--------> Shane :gays: <-------- Dave

"........ And you'll never know if it was an accident or not."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next