RARE 1969 Jimmy Buffett DEMO Vinyl from Nashville

Share and obtain recordings of Jimmy's concerts
HeWentToParis
Number of Buffett shows attended: 10

RARE 1969 Jimmy Buffett DEMO Vinyl from Nashville

Post by HeWentToParis » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello Everybody,
I am in possession of a rare Jimmy Buffett demo vinyl record that I am possibly selling...I was wondering if anybody is interested or if anybody has any information about it????

Here is the link to the page on discogs...
https://www.discogs.com/Jimmy-Buffett-T ... e/11118859

Thanks,
Patrick
Attachments
IMG_3644 540.jpg
IMG_3644 540.jpg (135.48 KiB) Viewed 10632 times
IMG_3642 540.jpg
IMG_3642 540.jpg (172.29 KiB) Viewed 10632 times

urlcenter

Re: RARE 1969 Jimmy Buffett DEMO Vinyl from Nashville

Post by urlcenter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:56 pm

That collection was released to radio stations in 1974 not 1969 as it contains songs from four of Jimmy's first 5 albums:

Down To Earth
High Cumberland Jubilee
A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean
A1A

The White Sport Coat album was released in 1973 and A1A was released in 1974 which means the following tracks were written well after 1969:

The Great Filling Station Holdup
Peanut Butter Conspiracy
Railroad Lady
Tin Cup Chalice
Why Don't We Get Drunk
My Lovely Lady

The label on the vinyl does state "demonstration record" that phrase was used on pressings of albums that were distributed to radio stations for airplay. It does not mean that the individual songs are demos

HeWentToParis
Number of Buffett shows attended: 10

Post by HeWentToParis » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Actually it is from 1969. I transferred the master tapes from Spar Studio here in Nashville and they are the exact same 2 track mixes...And I'm guessing you've never heard this demo or the master tapes...

urlcenter

Post by urlcenter » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 am

HeWentToParis wrote:Actually it is from 1969. I transferred the master tapes from Spar Studio here in Nashville and they are the exact same 2 track mixes...And I'm guessing you've never heard this demo or the master tapes...
I am not sure how that can be as Jimmy had not written the songs from the White Sport Coat or A1A Albums until at least 1972 when he moved to Key West with Jerry Jeff Walker.

I have never heard that demo LP but I do know of it and I do know when Jimmy wrote the following songs:

The Great Filling Station Holdup
Peanut Butter Conspiracy
Railroad Lady
Why Don't We Get Drunk
My Lovely Lady

Tin Cup Chalice

I also know that there is a bootleg collection of the above tracks which is known as "The White Sport Coat" alternates which were taken from the recordings session for the White Sport Coat album. Railroad Lady was written by Jimmy and Jerry Jeff Walker in 1973 in Key West. Jimmy recorded and released it in 1973 and Jerry Jeff Walked released his version of the song in 1976. My Lovely Lady was written by Jimmy for his then girlfriend and later wife Jane who Jimmy did not meet until after his divorce from his first wife Marjorie. Jimmy and Marjorie divorced before Jimmy's relocation to Key West.

The differences in the alternates and album versions of the above listed songs include differences in overall length, tempo, arrangement, instrumentation and lyrics.